Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Another new rider thread (sorry) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/25753-another-new-rider-thread-sorry.html)

m21att1 02-24-2010 12:29 PM

Another new rider thread (sorry)

Looking to purchase my first board. I've only been out about 3 days so far, and doing fairly well, I am starting to link turns, and getting a little more comfortable. Looking for an all mountain type board, I'm 5'10'' 185lbs. size 10 boot (already purchased the VANS aura boa and took them out once, I hate putting my feet in rental boots!). I was looking at the Ride Control, Rossignol one mag (although I heard this is for more advanced riders). Anyone want to recommend a beginner board for mostly groomed runs, I'm on the east coast/ICE coast. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Money really isn't an issue for me, not that I'm rich but I've been saving up.

arsenic0 02-24-2010 12:44 PM

Hard to say what board necessarily, i have no insight on either of those two.

That said your probably looking at a 156-158 size board non wide obviously...

Chainsaw 02-24-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21att1 (Post 263162)
Looking to purchase my first board. I've only been out about 3 days so far, and doing fairly well, I am starting to link turns, and getting a little more comfortable. Looking for an all mountain type board, I'm 5'10'' 185lbs. size 10 boot (already purchased the VANS aura boa and took them out once, I hate putting my feet in rental boots!). I was looking at the Ride Control, Rossignol one mag (although I heard this is for more advanced riders). Anyone want to recommend a beginner board for mostly groomed runs, I'm on the east coast/ICE coast. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Money really isn't an issue for me, not that I'm rich but I've been saving up.

Do you ever see yourself going into the park as well in the future? Or are you only going to ride the slopes and never go into the park.

m21att1 02-24-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw (Post 263179)
Do you ever see yourself going into the park as well in the future? Or are you only going to ride the slopes and never go into the park.

90% slopes, but most likely I will try the park when I get a bit more comfortable on a board.

m21att1 02-24-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsenic0 (Post 263175)
Hard to say what board necessarily, i have no insight on either of those two.

That said your probably looking at a 156-158 size board non wide obviously...

Thanks, I've been told so many different things from shops around here, I'm not sure who to believe. They said basically anything from 158-163 non wide.

wampaSRT 02-24-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21att1 (Post 263182)
90% slopes, but most likely I will try the park when I get a bit more comfortable on a board.

I also recently decided to purchase my own gear. Like you, I wanted to keep my options open so if I decided to try the park I didn't have to buy a new board. I went with the DC PBJ LTD 155. It has plenty of flex for when I want to hit the park but is still very enjoyable riding down the slope.

I bought boots before I bought bindings and didnt try the boot with the binding first...big mistake. My foot is big (11.5) and they dont fit with my Flow Flite 3's how they should. Quality is decent but last night I was at the shop and felt the other bindings available and there are some really nice bindings with very smooth ratchets. Just take your time and do some tangible research.

m21att1 02-24-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wampaSRT (Post 263225)
I also recently decided to purchase my own gear. Like you, I wanted to keep my options open so if I decided to try the park I didn't have to buy a new board. I went with the DC PBJ LTD 155. It has plenty of flex for when I want to hit the park but is still very enjoyable riding down the slope.

I bought boots before I bought bindings and didnt try the boot with the binding first...big mistake. My foot is big (11.5) and they dont fit with my Flow Flite 3's how they should. Quality is decent but last night I was at the shop and felt the other bindings available and there are some really nice bindings with very smooth ratchets. Just take your time and do some tangible research.

Thanks man, I'll do some more research for sure can't wait to get my own gear. The season is almost over here in the North East, but I plan on getting a season pass next season!

m21att1 02-25-2010 11:02 AM

OK guys, after a lot of research I think I'm going to try out the Sierra Team board. Seems fairly forgiving and a good board for the price.