Kind of an odd question..but need a fun board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kind of an odd question..but need a fun board

I've seen a lot of threads where people are talking about wanting a park board for a second deck...but mine is a bit different.

I have a Ride Machete but want to pick up a board that's solely for flatland tricks.
Stuff like this...
YouTube - SNOW BOARD 08-09 MOVIE TRUST6 MEDIA?master of ground ?

I come from skateboarding where I used to have a specific skateboard for flatland technical tricks (aka Rodney Mullen type stuff)...narrow deck, loose trucks, super small 40mm wheels, etc..

I kind of want a snowboard similar to this...just a fun board where I can detune all of the edges to the point it's going to be pathetic for carving/turning...but will excel for messing around on flatland technical stuff and rarely catch an edge.
Regulatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
T-Rex

Rome artifact 1985.. i have the 150cm.. it's really flexible (like the ones in the video) and the rails are bronze (soft metal) and they're beveled up 3* to prevent catching an edge.... look into it.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks man...I will check it out.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

by the way....I'm 5'9" and 150-155lbs...normally I ride around a 155. For a board like this that is just going to be a fun board, should I stick with a 155 or go smaller (like a 150-152).
Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
T-Rex

i'm 5'7" 175, i like little boards... they're IMO easier to manipulate and flex... also i heard the K2 Weapon is pretty gnarly for flex.. but i can't personally verify that
Old 02-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

If ur looking into flatland tricks, I would think the idea (counter-intuitive as it sounds) is not to try to detune your edges to the point of patheticness. Whilst this may be desirable for jibs, such ground tricks actually require very good (and precsie) edge control for the very reason that alot of them are not done on a flat base (unlike jibs) but instead require some kind of edge setting to create a platform to spin from. Catching an edge doing ground tricks of this nature will have very little to do with how rounded ur edges are and more to do with board control/timing/sense of what is your "uphill edge" whilst spinning around etc.

Beveled edges do help - tho they need not necessarily be bronze. And to refine what I just mentioned, you should de-tune ur board, but only at the wide hooky points. Not all the way thru.

Most noodles boards would do fine. Generally look for a board construction that is tortionally soft. Longtitude wise, it depends. A more snappy board is harder to press, but gets more pop when ur heaving off a nose/tail press into a 360 etc. So this is a matter of preference generally.
Thad Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad Osprey View Post
Beveled edges do help - tho they need not necessarily be bronze. And to refine what I just mentioned, you should de-tune ur board, but only at the wide hooky points. Not all the way thru.

Most noodles boards would do fine. Generally look for a board construction that is tortionally soft.
agreed. don't need the bronze.. I just mentioned it because the Artifact 1985 comes that way... also the 1985 is torsionally VERY soft.. rated to be even softer than it is longitudinally...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

T-Rex. Its all good sir. I think you mentioned a very good board for that choice too. And its nice and poppy in the tip and tail for a noodle (cos of the carbon). I own a horroscope, otherwise I woulda bought an artifact.
Thad Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad Osprey View Post
I think you mentioned a very good board for that choice too. And its nice and poppy in the tip and tail for a noodle (cos of the carbon)
i can't believe how much i love this board.. i ride it with the K2 Formula bindings... W O W. what a sick set up.. super fun in the park... however, i was out playing at loveland pass, CO (backcountry) the other day and forgot my "all mountain" board at home... hahaha this thing is waaaaay to flexible to try to ride waist deep pow. hahaha
Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Here's a cool vid to check out for flatland tricks

YouTube - Snowboard butter flatland tricks turns carves manuals snowboarding spinning slashing snow flat ground tricks Ryan Knapton

He's riding a 155 Unity Pride

Last edited by crispynz1; 02-25-2010 at 01:00 AM.
crispynz1 is offline   Reply With Quote