What exactly does it mean by out grow a snowboard? (Burton Feather) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What exactly does it mean by out grow a snowboard? (Burton Feather)

Hi all, I'm looking for a beginner snowboard for my gf, she is trying to link turns now, after showing her all the beginner's snowboard ppl recommend on this forum, she wants to get the Burton Feather, but some ppl saying it can be out grow within weeks, what does it really mean?

FYI, she will not try to do any tricks, she only goes 5-10 times each session. Thanks.
Marlon177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
AAA

Growing out of a board usually means your skills have advanced to the point where the board is too soft or too short for the level that you're trying to ride it. I'm not familiar with the Feather, but I'd say that it's unlikely someone is going to grow out of a board too quickly at 5-10 days per year. If that's an entry level board, she'll be ready for something else by the time she starts genuine carving.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
jumbosrule

Unless you are out on the mountain all the time IMO you won't "outgrow" your board - ever. I've had the same board since 2002 and just got a new one this year because the technology has changed so much. The new board responds better and is lighter but there is nothing wrong with my old board and it would make a good learner for somebody who wants gear but wants it used for the price break.

Your skill might develop to better take advantage of a different board, but I think your GF will be able to ride the feather till she just WANTS a new board. If you want her to get comfortable first - buy a used set up cheap (or even rent/demo) and then a new one when she knows her style of riding better.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Geoff48

Wow, been lurking for awhile, but I finally registered because this is my EXACT question about this exact board. My little sis has been out on rentals 4 times this season in So Cal and Mammoth, and shes into it and looking for her own stuff. She likes the Feather. Right now she is still learning her toe edge, but can control her heel side great. Obviously this board will work well right now, but what exactly do people mean by outgrowing it? I mean, is she going to go out some day next season and all of a sudden the board wont hold an edge because her speed has picked up? How specifically is it going to hold her back?
The last womens board I bought was a Barrett Chrisy pro model for my wife, and that was many season ago. Thanks!