my board is a lil big, what should i do? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
jaco

Default my board is a lil big, what should i do?

i recently got a 2010 pbj for 200. its 153 and im about 5'4 145lbs.

should i just sell this board or keep it, the board is up to my nose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well I guess it really depends on the riding you intend to do. Also, board size is determined by your weight rather than height. That height thing is pretty much bs.

If you're doing more all-mountain stuff then the 153 won't be a big deal (I'm 137 lbs and I ride a 154 for my all mountain needs). If you're looking for something more freestyle/park oriented then it might be more ideal to grab a shorter deck so you can flex it easier. But I mean that's all in personal preference too, so I'd say test out the 153 and then decide if it feels right for you.
Fizzlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
jaco

im looking to do mostly everything, ill test the board out, but i really enjoy a softer board.

thanks for the advice fizz
Old 02-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzlicious View Post
Well I guess it really depends on the riding you intend to do. Also, board size is determined by your weight rather than height. That height thing is pretty much bs.
I agree and disagree with the height sizing. I'm 5'-7" and 190lbs built like a bulldog. LOL. By weight I should probably be in the 161-163 board range but I find it harder to be precise...I just don't have the torsional leverage probable due to my short legs and the board's larger waist width. Now you do want a longer board for better float but I haven't had problems with my 158 SL-R as long as I maintain speed. I like the 155 for the park. Interestingly enough, I talked to NeverSummer about sizing for me and they told me to go by the height rule...probably explains why they don't have a weight to size chart on their site. Then again, NS boards are built like tanks so the 158 will easily handle my weight.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm 5'5" and 145 lbs, I ride a 155 cm board.
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
jaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster716 View Post
I agree and disagree with the height sizing. I'm 5'-7" and 190lbs built like a bulldog. LOL. By weight I should probably be in the 161-163 board range but I find it harder to be precise...I just don't have the torsional leverage probable due to my short legs and the board's larger waist width. Now you do want a longer board for better float but I haven't had problems with my 158 SL-R as long as I maintain speed. I like the 155 for the park. Interestingly enough, I talked to NeverSummer about sizing for me and they told me to go by the height rule...probably explains why they don't have a weight to size chart on their site. Then again, NS boards are built like tanks so the 158 will easily handle my weight.
so i guess it would be best to consider both variables when choosing a board?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if I only had one board, it would be on the longer side. Short boards don't cut it for me in deep snow...but I can still do 360s and other freestyle tricks on my all mtn/powder board. I only ride my short board/twin when groomers and park are the only good option.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
so i guess it would be best to consider both variables when choosing a board?
Well I'm kind of out of the norm with my height/weight. 153 I think is fine especially if you're the type to take the lift, cruise down the mountain and finish your run in the park.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster716 View Post
Ah yeah, forgot about that. Good one calling me on it. Guess it should be changed to:

Board size is determined mainly by weight, but height should also be considered because of varying body proportions from rider to rider

Last edited by Fizzlicious; 02-27-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Fizzlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
jumbosrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
i recently got a 2010 pbj for 200. its 153 and im about 5'4 145lbs.

should i just sell this board or keep it, the board is up to my nose
If you like speed and stability more than doing tricks, keep this board. If you would rather take it to the park, you can find a shorter board that would be better in the park and almost as good with stability and speed.

I'm 6'1", 205 and ride a 162. Perfect length for me.