Snowboard package for beginner wife? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
92hatchattack

Default Snowboard package for beginner wife?

Ok, so here's the deal. A few years ago my wife went snowboarding, just once, and liked it alot. I have just gotten back into skiing and would like to get her on the mountain as well. But, if there one thing i hate, is waiting around in a rental line when all i want to do is get to the top of the mountain. So i am interested in getting her a cheap setup.

Cheap setup, yes. But i don't want something totally crappy that she wont be able to progress on. She just needs a setup for beginners that will hold her off until she reaches an intermediate level, which at the frequency that she would actually go would probably be a few years.

What should I be looking at for her? Are there decent full packages that can be had for around $300-$350, or am i going to have to spend a considerable amount more to get her something that is at least decent?

As far as name brands go, do some of them make really crappy stuff too?

For example, after just browsing around i see i can get this K2 setup with their basic stuff for around $320 .. Is this stuff crap though?

K2 Moment Womens Snowboard 2009

K2 Mink Womens Snowboard Boots 2009

K2 Bliss Womens Snowboard Bindings 2009

Any help will be appreciated, as i know absolutely nothing about snowboards.

Thanks in advance!

---Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Joe,

That is fine gear and if those items are a good fit for her, she will be able to enjoy herself immediately and advance well on them. If you shop around a bit, you may find even a board with higher specs in the same price range. As always, the key is to find great gear that fits the rider perfectly. Please post her weight (no worries, we won't tell), her foot size, and the area of the country where she will typically be riding and we will do our best to get her some great suggestions.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
92hatchattack

Thank you for the reply.

My wife is 5'6" and 190-200 (she wont tell me!) Her foot size is 8 and we live in New Jersey. Most of the ridding she does will be here in upper NJ with (after a year of practice) the yearly 3 day trip to VT. She is not really too adventurous and id bet would never be going off anything bigger than a 1-2 jump (i doubt even that, but when u start thinking your good who knows!) and most likely wont adventure into powder or trees ever.

The problem is shopping around means nothing to me, because i dont know what i am looking at.

What about boots? Do they run true to size? Could one blindly order gear of the internet without trying stuff on? Im sure as far as the boots go i could like go to sports authority and have her put her feet in any k2 boot to see which one fits and then order online? Most likely the sizes run the same within a brand right?

Is fitting of the boot important? I know in skiing people get really crazy spending hours to get fitted into the right boot. Are snowboard boots like this, or because they are soft u can pretty much just pick out one that fits your foot?

Once again, thats for the reply and help!
Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
jumbosrule

Has she ridden before? Honestly I would recommend renting a set-up and seeing how she likes it. That's how I started and didn't regret the few extra bucks I spent figuring out what it is I like.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
Thank you for the reply.

My wife is 5'6" and 190-200 (she wont tell me!) Her foot size is 8 and we live in New Jersey. Most of the ridding she does will be here in upper NJ with (after a year of practice) the yearly 3 day trip to VT. She is not really too adventurous and id bet would never be going off anything bigger than a 1-2 jump (i doubt even that, but when u start thinking your good who knows!) and most likely wont adventure into powder or trees ever.

The problem is shopping around means nothing to me, because i dont know what i am looking at.

What about boots? Do they run true to size? Could one blindly order gear of the internet without trying stuff on? Im sure as far as the boots go i could like go to sports authority and have her put her feet in any k2 boot to see which one fits and then order online? Most likely the sizes run the same within a brand right?

Is fitting of the boot important? I know in skiing people get really crazy spending hours to get fitted into the right boot. Are snowboard boots like this, or because they are soft u can pretty much just pick out one that fits your foot?

Once again, thats for the reply and help!
Hi Joe, that is great info. Your wife is actually a tricky fit and she will get a lot of bad info from those who incorrectly use height (nose height, shoulder height, forehead height, etc) as a means to fit a snowboard. The discrepancy between her weight and her shoe size means that we need to chose carefully and cannot go with an already soft board like the K2 Moment, as it will effectively be WAY too soft for her weight, and this will be even more of an issue on NJ hardpack, as she will need to hold an edge.

Good online retailers have developed techniques that can help you find a perfect boot fit on the first try. Additionally, many boots now have heat moldable liners that allow for a custom fit with the use of a blow dryer. These can be used for minor corrections in shoe sizing. A good place to start:

Please measure her foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

I have some thoughts on some gear that will work well for your wife. Drop me a note and I will be happy to suggest.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
92hatchattack

She has gone snowboarding once. What do you mean seeing which setup she likes? As far as i can see she just needs to know which foot she wants foward. If she rents the same equipment a few times she will get used to it and comfortable with it being a beginner, just as she would with her own brand new gear.

You guys are the pros, not me, but i would assume that a real beginner wont be able to recognize what they like without a decent skill set. No?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

K2's women's line is really good and their beginner gear is really popular. The Moment would be a good, easy board to learn on, especially if your wife isn't likely to be an aggressive rider. I don't know much about K2 Bliss bindings. I ride the K2 Virtues, which I love.

At your wife's weight, I would put her on a slightly longer board: around the mid 150's rather than the low 150's. I might also caution you against purchasing her very soft beginner boots. It may be a better idea to get her a mid-stiff boot that would offer more support for her weight.

For boots, she should definitely try them on before buying. Boot fit in snowboarding is just as important as it is in skiing. I would say go for the package as long as you know for sure the boots fit right. For more information on fitting boots properly, visit the Boots section of this forum and check out the sticky on boot fitting tips.

If you decide to forgo the package, I check out the suggestions below

Boots:
Whatever fits correctly and feels good!!

Bindings:
Ride Vxn: Ride VXn Snowboard Bindings - Women's at REI.com or Ride VXn Snowboard Bindings - Women's > Women's Snowboard Bindings + Free Shipping & No Sales Tax
Rome Madison
K2 Virtue

Boards:
K2 Luna
Ride Solace Ride Solace Snowboard - Women's - '08/'09 at REI.com
Rome Vinyl
Burton Lux or Troop
Atomic Fallen Angel
Gnu B-nice (awesome for East Coast hard pack/ice)
Arbor Eden 156: Arbor Eden Snowboard - Women's from Backcountry.com

Good luck!
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
i would assume that a real beginner wont be able to recognize what they like without a decent skill set. No?
In terms of preferance, that is true, but...being on an incorrectly sized board can be very frustrating and can turn new riders off to the sport (this is especially true on hardpack). It would be much better for your wife to get a stiffer board at a mid length, rather than move to a longer board in a soft model to gain the extra stiffness (which would be more cumbersome and less fun).
Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you should stick to renting for her for awhile, but just go to a local shop the day before to pick it up, instead of at the mountain.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The downside of rentals outweigh any potential for savings. Dive right in! For new riders, consistancy is really important. Having the same (correctly adjusted) bindings, well centerred, at the correct angles, on a board that is a perfect fit makes all of the difference. Plus, riding in boots that have been broken in by 30 pairs of feet is never a delight, even if you do get a dry pair

Stoke her out with a great package that is all hers, and you are taking your best shot at setting up a stoked new rider...and then your life as a boarder just got a whole lot better

...Ride on