Custom vs. Custom V-Rocker - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 52
Default Custom vs. Custom V-Rocker

Which board would be better for all-mountain riding?

Thanks
Funkyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyhog View Post
Which board would be better for all-mountain riding?

Thanks
I have a 2001 Custom and a 2010 Custom V-Rocker (click my sig for review) and I would rather ride my V-Rocker in general. Although I think my custom is a better freeride board. Although I plan on replacing my Custom with a more modern reverse camber freeride board. i'm sold on the reverse camber idea. i like it.

Which brings me to answering your question.

They are both equal. One is traditional camber and the other is a reverse camber. It'll come down to personal preference. Sorry its not as cut and dry as you'd like.
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 52
Default

So the main difference between the two is camber and v-rocker right?
I know that it isn't all that easy to explain to someone in words, but can you tell me how differently rocker and camber? Or just how differently the two boards ride.
Funkyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyhog View Post
So the main difference between the two is camber and v-rocker right?
I know that it isn't all that easy to explain to someone in words, but can you tell me how differently rocker and camber? Or just how differently the two boards ride.
The custom is a normal width board and the v-rocker is a mid width board.
The custom will be a little more stiff than the v-rocker version.

As far as how they ride. The custom is going to feel a little more responsive at first but once you adjust you will feel more agile on the v-rocker.

Personally I feel that a norma camber board does a better job handling cruft and death cookie type terrain than a reverse camber board.
While I haven't felt any real problems at speed, some feel a reverse camber board is not as stable at speed. Again, I disagree with this.

The v-rocker will feel a lot softer directly under foot as you wont have to do as much work to get the board to flex. This will probably take the most getting used to as you adjust to the different flex pattern but it is not a negative, simply a personal preference.

Another thing. A normal camber board will give you more resistance when landing in the back seat. This safety net is a lot smaller on a reverse camber board and you will wash out easier. This is a trade off and one you should think about. How clean are your landings? Are you willing to dial down your tricks while you learn the new camber. To me this is a positive as it keeps me honest
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.

Last edited by binarypie; 02-28-2010 at 02:40 AM.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Reede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 398
Default

For all mountain, camber gives better edge hold while rocker makes it a little more playful.

The V rocker is a bastardisation on a board that has been a standard for some time, I dont think the V rocker version is really good for anything, less stability when riding fast than the regular one and there are other boards that are better for riding park with. It exists pretty much entirely because reverse camber is fashionable as much as it is good technology and what better for Burton to do than offer a reverse camber version of its most popular board, which really just makes it worse at what the board is good for and gives marginal benefits in areas much better suited to other boards.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 52
Default

So for me, you do think the camber would be better since I barely ever go to the park?
Funkyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Reede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 398
Default

I would say so, yes.

Altho a lot of people swear by reverse camber for everything, and it is great when riding powder, but traditional camber boards are generally more stable edge to edge at high speeds. If you never go to the park I couldnt possibly recommend the V rocker model over the normal Custom.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reede View Post
I would say so, yes.

Altho a lot of people swear by reverse camber for everything, and it is great when riding powder, but traditional camber boards are generally more stable edge to edge at high speeds. If you never go to the park I couldnt possibly recommend the V rocker model over the normal Custom.
I agree with this. Having both boards. If I didn't like to do a couple runs in the park every time I go to the mountain I would have bought another Custom or similar board.
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
Another thing. A normal camber board will give you more resistance when landing in the back seat. This safety net is a lot smaller on a reverse camber board and you will wash out easier. This is a trade off and one you should think about. How clean are your landings? Are you willing to dial down your tricks while you learn the new camber. To me this is a positive as it keeps me honest
I demoed a Burton Hero (rocker) and a Burton Fix (Rocker-Flat-Rocker) yesterday and I felt that both are easy to “overspin” on a landing and revert if you’re not as perfect. The Hero seems to be more overspin prone but is more forgiving anyway since it’s harder to catch an edge. I presume this is because it’s softer too. The Fix seems to feel a little more like a camber board in terms of preventing overspin but not as much as a camber board which seems to stop your rotation quicker. But the drawback is that it’s easier to catch an edge on the landing with a camber board compared to these two shapes.

Is this sort of like what you mean?
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
I demoed a Burton Hero (rocker) and a Burton Fix (Rocker-Flat-Rocker) yesterday and I felt that both are easy to “overspin” on a landing and revert if you’re not as perfect. The Hero seems to be more overspin prone but is more forgiving anyway since it’s harder to catch an edge. I presume this is because it’s softer too. The Fix seems to feel a little more like a camber board in terms of preventing overspin but not as much as a camber board which seems to stop your rotation quicker. But the drawback is that it’s easier to catch an edge on the landing with a camber board compared to these two shapes.

Is this sort of like what you mean?
Sort of. I think what it comes down to is how the board handles the forces involved while landing.

A traditional camber board generally has a very progressive flex pattern. So when you are off balance the board will evenly move towards the point of disaster. Its kind of like the way tires work. Your general high performance street tires will make a ton of noise before they ever loose grip. A normal camber snowboard will give you a lot of flex feedback before you get to the point where either you wash out or your edge catches and get up close and personal with the snow.

A rocker/hybrid camber board actually as a combination of flexes which create a dynamic range that acts differently depending on the type of force being applied. Back to my tire analogy this is the way R-Comp Competition tires work. They'll be grippy as hell and all of the sudden no grip and you are SOL. A rocker/hybrid camber snowboard wont give you as much flex feedback. You'll think everything is ok and all of the sudden the board is out from under you and your face is in the snow.

***
Tire geeks please take note I'm not saying reverse camber is equivalent performance wise to rcomps, I'm simply using the grip behavior as a way to describe how the board feels.
***

I hope that helped.
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.

Last edited by binarypie; 02-28-2010 at 08:56 PM.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums