What Board Should i buy?? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarCervantes View Post
Thank you very much, but my budget for a board i just raised to 175 and thats just the board.. i went to big 5 today and wow all they have is crap lol. but yea my friends arent going to teach me. i guess its like learning how to ride a bike? just go out there and fall and fall and fall till i get it right.. and im also going to watch tons of youtube videos to see if i learn anything. I aint scared to get hurt so i guess i can learn that way? what do u guys think??

Dude, it's not about being scared of pain. Believe me, after you bury your back/front edge a several times you'll be hurting. You will enjoy the experience 10 fold by getting a lesson. Once you have been taught the basics, then go practice by yourself. You will advance far quicker by doing it this way. In the end it's up to you, it's just my advice to you.

Good luck!
crispynz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarCervantes View Post
Thank you very much, but my budget for a board i just raised to 175 and thats just the board.. i went to big 5 today and wow all they have is crap lol. but yea my friends arent going to teach me. i guess its like learning how to ride a bike? just go out there and fall and fall and fall till i get it right.. and im also going to watch tons of youtube videos to see if i learn anything. I aint scared to get hurt so i guess i can learn that way? what do u guys think??
YouTube - Snowboard How to Learn Preriding Lesson
Old 03-02-2010, 03:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ehh...so you have 175 for board boots and bindings? Thats still a rough thing to do unless you are getting a Morrow/LTD set from Big 5 or Sports Authority or something or get lucky and find some used board/binding combo for 75 bucks to spend 100 on some new boots.

And as Crispy eluded too, think of getting lessons as riding with training wheels with someone holding you up and telling you what your doing wrong. No kid jumps straight onto 2 wheels ...well most dont

I still highly suggest you take the beginner lesson even if you dont rent. Trust me in 2 hours you will learn what will take you much longer to learn on your own. Not to mention a lot of self taught people are the ones hurting themselves(or others) with improper technique not being able to properly control their board.

Everyone here that goes up regularly see's them..unguided missiles that zoom down the hill at 50mph in a straight line because they dont know how to turn or stop properly. And with proper technique you will be able to go for much longer before getting tired, i have a buddy who still consistently rudders with his back leg..within 2 hours hes toast because his back leg is on fire.

Last edited by arsenic0; 03-02-2010 at 03:18 AM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Power Bottom

what you need to do is....

-spend all $100 on the most complete set up you can find, dont buy at a store keep checking craigslist
-dont get lessons, i taught myself from youtube
-clip your pass
PaulyMolitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Edgar, how much do you weigh and what size boot do you wear?

You can learn on your own, but you'll learn faster with a lesson. A lift pass and lesson combo is highlly recommended. Not sure about big bear, but mt high has a free lesson for beginners with the purchase of a lift ticket.
CornedBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
BTH

I got late to my very first day riding so i couldn't get lessons. I had seen a good amount of youtube videos and I was able to do turns and be somewhat controlled. I was linking turns but catching edges often too. But that night an awesome local offered us a cheap lesson and we took it. Next day after maybe an hour I was ripping up some blues with no problem, the help was awesome and It definitely made me progress much faster. So I recommend the lesson.

And evogear.com has some good deals on board+bindings packages maybe check them out
BTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Jonboy

I would consider Ebay, even if you hate it you can sell it on after. With renting you are just throwing away money. My friend Mark just got a K2 fatbob 161 and Flow bindings for 52!!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Okay so first let me thank you alllll for taking your time and replying trying to help me.. I have decided to watch lots of youtube videos to try and learn but i will also take a lesson @ Bigbear, and to clear things up 175 is just for the board not including bindings and boots i will buy those seperate anyway i g2g now ill be back tommorow after skool Thanks again!!!!!!! you dont know how much this helps me Thank You
EdgarCervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
shred head

scope out end-of-season sales, ski swaps, the paper, craigslist... you never know, insanely good deals happen. this year i've been riding a decent burton setup that i found on craigslist for $140. and i just scooped up a burton twin tip park board for $40. maybe i just have a lucky rabbits foot up my ass

lessons are good if you've never been on a board... i dunno firsthand tho, i've always just gone headfirst into things. watching videos can help, even if it just means you are visualizing the mountain and your board. and if you're friends are true comrades and stick by you on your tumbles down the bunnys, make sure to buy them a round afterwards. or roll em an L.

and be careful! shit's addictive. i mean snowboarding. not rollin Ls.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

i bought my brother a burton clash at skidazzle for $150 board alone
mAd mOrdigan is offline   Reply With Quote