What Board Should i buy?? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
bluddah

sounds like there's a lot of good advice here, obviously we are at diff levels and im sure stuff worked better for some than others. my advice...

lessons: i started learning with a bunch of friends (self taught). it is ALOT better if you have a good patient friend that will stay and teach u, way better than trial and error. not all ppl who board well can teach. i taught my share of friends and i admit i am one bad impatient teacher. it's also tough for me to analyze noobs boarding. so if u dunno a good patient boarder willing to, then take a beginner lesson. u'll make leaps and bounds in progress over someone self teaching. u'll save money than wasting more lift tix on trial and error. u'll enjoy it better overall too because i always see self teaching ppl get really pissed and thus less likely to like boarding (i have friends who decided to retire cuz they couldnt get the carve by themselves). another thing about friends teaching, my noob friends used to tell me they didnt like us waiting for them and giving them tips because they feel too pressured to perform and theyd mess up. but if u have a paid instructor, who cares if u are making them wait for u...u'll be more relaxed. i wish i had someone teaching me when i started.

rentals: the boot is the most important to buy first. i once forgot to bring my boots and had to rent. the rental boot was all wet inside...eeeeeew. i will never forget my boots again. but if u have to rent, i suggest renting off mountain if possible (like sport chalet or dicks). their stuff should be in better condition and maybe cheaper. plus u dont have to wait in the long rental line on the mountain.

set ups: not much advice over here, just that in the end/off season there are a lot of stuff 50-70% off if you are lucky. otherwise get something used (or even new) on craigslist, nothing wrong with that. have fun!

Last edited by bluddah; 03-03-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
shred head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluddah View Post
rentals: the boot is the most important to buy first. i once forgot to bring my boots and had to rent. the rental boot was all wet inside...eeeeeew. i will never forget my boots again. but if u have to rent, i suggest renting off mountain if possible (like sport chalet or dicks). their stuff should be in better condition and maybe cheaper. plus u dont have to wait in the long rental line on the mountain.
i agree, boots are super important. it's great to have your own; you know they'll fit well, and they aren't soggy from somebody else (ew, really? gross!). guess if you rent off mountain they'll have a little bit of time to dry out tho, lol!

if you don't have someone to help you pick gear out when renting, do a lil homework before you go 'cause rentals can be over-worn and under-maintained, from board to bindings to boots. i've seen people walk out of the rental shop with a board that screamed "wax me, pleeeease!!!" and bindings that were set really weird. tends to be less of a problem on slower days, when the staff isn't just pushing rentals out the door and can get you some proper gear.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred head View Post
i've seen people walk out of the rental shop with a board that screamed "wax me, pleeeease!!!"
Thats funny coz when i went with a few newbies to tahoe, the boards they rented said "scrape me.. please!!!!!"

It looked like someone waxed it and a scraper never even touched the board and there was A LOT of wax.
mAd mOrdigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #24 (permalink)

If you don't mind buying used for your first board, there are some good brand-name snowboards on geartrade.com

GearTrade - Browse Snowboards (un-mounted)
Albertos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
shred head

either extreme is extremely lame! these resorts should fire their rental fleet flunkies and hire a real hillside hero.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarCervantes View Post
okay so if there are no good boards for 100... what would be a cheap good board? and how much would it cost? I am a begginer but i would go to Big Bear a couple times in the season with my friends
You can go to an off mountain rental shop and maybe they have "old rentals" that could be decent boards but just old and maybe scractched up. They sometimes let you rent it and subtract the fee from the price at the end of the day if you buy it.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluddah View Post
sounds like there's a lot of good advice here, obviously we are at diff levels and im sure stuff worked better for some than others. my advice...

lessons: i started learning with a bunch of friends (self taught). it is ALOT better if you have a good patient friend that will stay and teach u, way better than trial and error. not all ppl who board well can teach. i taught my share of friends and i admit i am one bad impatient teacher. it's also tough for me to analyze noobs boarding. so if u dunno a good patient boarder willing to, then take a beginner lesson. u'll make leaps and bounds in progress over someone self teaching. u'll save money than wasting more lift tix on trial and error. u'll enjoy it better overall too because i always see self teaching ppl get really pissed and thus less likely to like boarding (i have friends who decided to retire cuz they couldnt get the carve by themselves). another thing about friends teaching, my noob friends used to tell me they didnt like us waiting for them and giving them tips because they feel too pressured to perform and theyd mess up. but if u have a paid instructor, who cares if u are making them wait for u...u'll be more relaxed. i wish i had someone teaching me when i started.

set ups: not much advice over here, just that in the end/off season there are a lot of stuff 50-70% off if you are lucky. otherwise get something used (or even new) on craigslist, nothing wrong with that. have fun!
I agree it's better to get a lesson. Most "friends" aren't snowboard instructors with experience with feedback and even some of the really good shredders don't know what they are uncounciously doing, never mind how to teach a beginner. I've had friends give noobs wrong advice. And even though I tell them that, the next time, they still give wrong advice! And they even try to teach them how to carve in the beginning, which is really an advanced technique later on. And I think one even confused carving with skidding.

I've experienced way too many times seeing someone like all day in the beginner slope "with a friend teacher" to say WTF is going on and go there to check em out...to find out the "teacher" is giving dead wrong advice. I told them that afterward and they still don't believe me even though the newbie keeps falling. They just blame it on the newbie and keep yelling at them. So I walk the newb through the "real" way and they are actually standing up and turning, etc. now. And I come back later and they are falling over and over again because the "teacher friend" is still giving the wrong advice and yelling at them. rofl!

The best advice (sarcastic) I've ever seen was "look in that direction and your board will go there". My Ash!

There's more to boarding than boarding. There's falling, one footing, saftey on lifts, drills, etc.

Be that said, if you are going to learn on your own, I've found books to be much better than "the internet". The internet has loads of videos and short snippets of descriptions, but so far, I have yet found any "free instructions" to rival the quality of something you pay for. And a good book is structured to teach you step by step. After my first day "gung-ho" and in pain afterward, I read 6 books a really long time ago to figure out what it's all about. By the end of my next day, I was doing double blacks. Not Olympic style, but maybe falling only 10% of the way at the end of the day.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-04-2010 at 11:14 AM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #28 (permalink)
bluddah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
I agree it's better to get a lesson. Most "friends" aren't snowboard instructors with experience with feedback and even some of the really good shredders don't know what they are uncounciously doing, never mind how to teach a beginner...The internet has loads of videos and short snippets of descriptions, but so far, I have yet found any "free instructions" to rival the quality of something you pay for.
guilty as charged. i now never give tips unless friends ask. it just saves both sides a lot of grief, haha. i once hung back near a lesson my friend was taking, they had so much more progress...a bunch of little things they did which made it so much better. obviously because they are professional teachers. i notice the only bad part of a lesson is that if you are grouped with a few strangers and they are worse than u, u will be getting less attention because they will drag the whole group down.

also reading instructions/tips are totally diff than personal instruction to me. i try little tips/tricks from online and a lot of it goes out the window when i'm out there.

Last edited by bluddah; 03-05-2010 at 06:36 AM.