What Board Should i buy?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What Board Should i buy??

What is the best for on a budget?? i have never snow boarded but i went to big bear today and it looked HELLA fun i only want to spend like 100 dollars just on the board? Thanks in advance

Last edited by EdgarCervantes; 03-01-2010 at 02:26 AM.
EdgarCervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

5150 Men's Covert Snowboard - Sport Chalet

i found that board for under 100 dollars what do u guys think??
Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarCervantes View Post
5150 Men's Covert Snowboard - Sport Chalet

i found that board for under 100 dollars what do u guys think??

You should rent a board/gear for the first once or twice, then if you like it/want to continue, go and buy some gear. You still need to buy bindings, boots & outwear on top of a board.
crispynz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

there are no "good" boards for 100 bucks. not even really carryovers you will find for that cheap.
adammalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

okay so if there are no good boards for 100... what would be a cheap good board? and how much would it cost? I am a begginer but i would go to Big Bear a couple times in the season with my friends
Old 03-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
okay so if there are no good boards for 100... what would be a cheap good board? and how much would it cost? I am a begginer but i would go to Big Bear a couple times in the season with my friends
You can find decent beginner stuff if you wade through all of the season end sales that are starting up about now. How beginner are you?

I would recommend renting first just to see if you even like the feel of snowboarding. That being said, from personal experience as a recent convert to snowboarding after a few failed attempts over the years, I personally have found some of the milder rocker boards have really made my progression easier. I got a 2010 K2 Fuse (Brigade with different graphics) for about $100 Cdn at a store closing early in the season (was $250, then marked down to $200, then 50% off). It has a fairly mild rocker, so edges don't catch as much as when I borrowed/rented (presumably all regularly cambered boards). It might not be as cool as all of the smaller label brands, but better on the trails enjoying myself than sitting on my ass with a pretty stick. Most quality brands (even big ones) have good starter decks. I avoid many of the smaller brands you find in big box stores just on quality concerns.

FYI, K2 actually makes Ride (love them, great products as well as K2), as well as 5150 and Morrow. The latter two are their lower end product lines; less technology, not as well made, but pretty affordable. The Good Ride actually has the 5150 Convert as one of their top picks for a beginner board. It's nothing earth shattering, but it will get you on riding.

If you're going for a full set up, spend the money on good, comfortable boots first, then nice, supportive bindings. Your board is really the least of your worries initially.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you very much CoopersTroopers for the information and you see the reason why i dont want to rent is because i like playing any sport or doing anything that is outdoors!!! and since i dont have much money that 60 dollars that i will pay for renting maybe i can buy some goggles instead u know... but yea ill see, im looking for local shops now and since the season is almost over maybe i can find some deals
Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you very much CoopersTroopers for the information and you see the reason why i dont want to rent is because i like playing any sport or doing anything that is outdoors!!! and since i dont have much money that 60 dollars that i will pay for renting maybe i can buy some goggles instead u know... but yea ill see, im looking for local shops now and since the season is almost over maybe i can find some deals
Agreed re: renting. You can pretty easily justify the cost of owning your own equipment in one season if you go like 5 times. Plus there is the added advantage of it being YOUR gear, so you can continuously tweak it to your riding style. I always found that first run or two on rentals was spent just trying to figure out if I was comfortable or not.

That and rental boots is a crap shoot of spreading germs and disease that's worse than bowling shoes (I'm assuming people's feet don't sweat as much bowling as they do boarding). Gross.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I will follow what other people are saying, rent.

If you have never snowboarded do the following
Goto Big Bear - Pay them 90 dollars for an all mountain pass, 2 hour lesson, and rentals.

Honestly i wouldnt even bother with the all mountain one if you have never gone..you can get the beginner area + lesson + rentals for 80.

You cant do squat with 100 dollars. Rentals are only 20 dollars if you do it this way, plus you get lessons, dont waste your time trying to have your friends teach you. They wont want to spend all day teaching you when they paid 60 dollars for a lift ticket.

Pretty much any resort worth going to is going to have some sort of beginner package that includes Lift Ticket + Rentals + Lessons for a discounted price. For example out here at Mt Hood Meadows they have a killer 3 pack deal. 3 days of rentals, 3 days of lessons, 2 days of bunny hill lift ticket, 1 all mountain lift ticket for 99 dollars. Which is just a retarded deal...considering 1 all mountain ticket alone is 60 dollars. Its like 400 dollar value lol...it looks like Big Bear has some stuff similar
http://www.bearmountain.com/snowboard/rates/lessons/

You get a free 20 dollar voucher with it too...so your second lesson you basically dont pay for rentals.

You need board + boots + bindings..for 100 bucks no way...even used will be tough.

Last edited by arsenic0; 03-01-2010 at 06:25 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you very much, but my budget for a board i just raised to 175 and thats just the board.. i went to big 5 today and wow all they have is crap lol. but yea my friends arent going to teach me. i guess its like learning how to ride a bike? just go out there and fall and fall and fall till i get it right.. and im also going to watch tons of youtube videos to see if i learn anything. I aint scared to get hurt so i guess i can learn that way? what do u guys think??