new board here but rusty and scratched? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default new board here but rusty and scratched?

I ordered a skate banana last week from twoseasons.co.uk after saving up since before christmas and this morning it arrived really well packaged. i eventually got it open and immediately i noticed the base has quite a few scratches, not huge but i remember when i got my first board and it was flawless. then i noticed there was a bit of rust up and down both edges and again its not that severe but it doesn't seem right.

I'm not sure if i should send it back or if I'm bitching about something that's unimportant, one thing to bear in mind is that it was the last one and after i bought it the product disappeared from the website so I'm unlikely to get another one.

what should i do?

edit: few photos

Last edited by weetsie; 03-01-2010 at 05:23 AM.
weetsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Smile Interesting

Does the binding area look virgin or does it look like it may have had a binding on it? Someone may have given it a test ride.

The board may be old stock, been hanging around the warehouse for a while and been knocked about a bit.

You could try complaining and see if they give a partial refund as a discount. You got nothing to lose. Other than tha you can try sending the board back and getting a full refund.

I doubt the scratches will affect the performance and you will probably put more of your own on it the first week in the park anyways.

CM
Australia
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

it hasn't been used because of the huge stickers on the base layer and i did check the bindings area and it definitely looks unused.

i know the scratches are not so bad but the thing that is really worrying me is the rust, is there anything i can do to remove it or stop it getting worse? i have just looked at my old board and while it may be a little more scratched it doesn't have any rust even after at 4 years of continuous use.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Red face

You could try an small piece of cloth with some metal polish if it is bothering you. Just be careful not to get any on the base. Even a small amount of steel wool or a simple scouring pad. Again try not to damage the base.

Personally, I would take the board into your local snowboard shop and ask them. They may have an alternative. Even though it is a new board, you could ask for a tune up, the simple process of waxing the base may cover the scratches and the tuning would remove the surface rust.

CM
Australia
Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Your old board not having any rust is a testament to how well you have taken care of it i.e. wiping your edges completely after each and every use.

Those metal edges rust really easily. Something as small as humidity can cause them to rust. This happened to my new board back in 07 when the dumb ass UPS guys left it on my front porch in the middle of winter. Yea, there was moisture inside for sure.

Also, just because the base still has the sticker doesn't mean someone didn't demo it. I've seen people forget to take off the sticker and rode just fine. Who's to say the shop guy didn't purposely leave it on while testing it. Also, the binding marks can be wiped off after use. They wouldn't leave the bindings sitting on the board if they are just demoing it.

I'd definitely get a discount for the scratches. We at Summit Sports call those "Blems". Blemish equipment is supposed to be sold at discounts.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

well it was discounted 320 from 400 but that was because it was the last one and now they dont stock them anymore (156W)

im worried that they will say its already been discounted even though the discount was on a completely brand new board.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cool Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

You have nothing to lose by raising the issue and asking. The worst they can say is NO!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetsie View Post
well it was discounted 320 from 400 but that was because it was the last one and now they dont stock them anymore (156W)

im worried that they will say its already been discounted even though the discount was on a completely brand new board.
That kind of attitude will get you 0 discounts. You need to be assertive. Send them the pics and demand a discount or a full refund. Tell them you'll take your business elsewhere and make sure that none of your family or friends shop there.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would definitely give them a call. As stated before they worse they can say is no.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

they had one in stock and said they would replace mine and pay for return postage so i said "ummmmmmmm" so she said "or.... i could refund you 30 to get it serviced"

so i did that.

so long as the edges clean up its a 400 snowboard for 290.

im happy with that.