Nitro team gullwing? opinions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
SHOTGUNABEER

Default Nitro team gullwing? opinions

Thinking about snagging one of sierra. From what i have read they seam like a solid board. Anybody have one or rode one before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Nitro is very popular in Europe, but hasn't caught on as much in the US. In general, they seem to make a great product. Their Gullwing tech is similar to Mervin's C2 and NS' RC, which is proven to kick ass. I've been tempted by their deal on that board too, in a 159. I'm just not sure how the flex is, b/c at that size I want it to be on the upper end of a medium flex. In the video on Sierra's site, the dude classifies it as a freestyle stick, which should still be fine for AM use for most people, but I'm not sure if it would be stiff/responsive enough for the charging I'd do with it.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
SHOTGUNABEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Nitro is very popular in Europe, but hasn't caught on as much in the US. In general, they seem to make a great product. Their Gullwing tech is similar to Mervin's C2 and NS' RC, which is proven to kick ass. I've been tempted by their deal on that board too, in a 159. I'm just not sure how the flex is, b/c at that size I want it to be on the upper end of a medium flex. In the video on Sierra's site, the dude classifies it as a freestyle stick, which should still be fine for AM use for most people, but I'm not sure if it would be stiff/responsive enough for the charging I'd do with it.

well i did buy one so hopefully i can put some runs on it before the season closes, ill put a review =D
Old 03-02-2010, 03:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOTGUNABEER View Post
Thinking about snagging one of sierra. From what i have read they seam like a solid board. Anybody have one or rode one before?
You'll love it, depending on what you want it for. I bought one as a second board for messing around with, as the Concept TMS isn't the most playful board. This thing is soft enough to be easy to press, but still has some good pop, and is serving well at helping me work my way back into kickers and the park. It doesn't offer quite the stability or edge hold of something like the TMS, though, which I found out the hard way (my fault, really, as I decided to test it by seeing how fast I could hold an aggressive carve on extremely hard snow/ice in some spots...).

Quote:
How much do you weigh, and what would you be hoping it'd be similar to? It's fairly soft, but stiffer than the park boards I got a chance to demo before buying it (K2 stuff mostly, like the Parkstar, Darkstar, Jibpan, and a Slayblade for the hell of it). I'm 240 on a 162 as a "park" board, and it's exactly what I'm looking for. It isn't the greatest for charging for me, but that is most likely because I'm comparing it to the Ride board I picked up this year, too. It's definitely got a quick base, and was stable enough for me to outrun my instructor for the first lesson I've taken in 10 years my first day on it, pretty much any time I wanted (he was riding a cambered Arbor, can't remember the model).

Quote:
well i did buy one so hopefully i can put some runs on it before the season closes, ill put a review =D
Look forward to seeing another person's opinion of this thing after riding it! I know I'm definitely enjoying mine.
nx_911_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well I'm currently looking for something a little stiffer than my NS SL-R. From what I'm reading, I think the Nitro Team Gullwing is actually a bit softer, which does me no good. Without being able to demo one or even handle one in person at the store, I most likely will be passing on it. Plus, Mervin and NS boards have the added bonus of some edge tech for better hold in icy/hardpack conditions.

How did it compare to the Slayblade? I know that's a pretty stiff/damp board. Did you ever try a Turbo Dream for comparison's sake?

Last edited by Triple8Sol; 03-02-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
SHOTGUNABEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx_911_turbo View Post
You'll love it, depending on what you want it for. I bought one as a second board for messing around with, as the Concept TMS isn't the most playful board. This thing is soft enough to be easy to press, but still has some good pop, and is serving well at helping me work my way back into kickers and the park. It doesn't offer quite the stability or edge hold of something like the TMS, though, which I found out the hard way (my fault, really, as I decided to test it by seeing how fast I could hold an aggressive carve on extremely hard snow/ice in some spots...).

How much do you weigh, and what would you be hoping it'd be similar to? It's fairly soft, but stiffer than the park boards I got a chance to demo before buying it (K2 stuff mostly, like the Parkstar, Darkstar, Jibpan, and a Slayblade for the hell of it). I'm 240 on a 162 as a "park" board, and it's exactly what I'm looking for. It isn't the greatest for charging for me, but that is most likely because I'm comparing it to the Ride board I picked up this year, too. It's definitely got a quick base, and was stable enough for me to outrun my instructor for the first lesson I've taken in 10 years my first day on it, pretty much any time I wanted (he was riding a cambered Arbor, can't remember the model).

Look forward to seeing another person's opinion of this thing after riding it! I know I'm definitely enjoying mine.

It's nice to see someone else in my weight class lol. 250lbs. I got the 162 for kinda pissing around considering my local hill is a joke. mainly flatish runs with an ok park but it's still fun with friends.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Well I'm currently looking for something a little stiffer than my NS SL-R. From what I'm reading, I think the Nitro Team Gullwing is actually a bit softer, which does me no good. Without being able to demo one or even handle one in person at the store, I most likely will be passing on it. Plus, Mervin and NS boards have the added bonus of some edge tech for better hold in icy/hardpack conditions.

How did it compare to the Slayblade? I know that's a pretty stiff/damp board. Did you ever try a Turbo Dream for comparison's sake?
Softer than the Slayblade, but definitely enjoy it more. The Slayblade was fun with the Flatline, but I wouldn't buy one myself, and I'm not completely sold on it. I find the Nitro to be more playful, while still being fairly stable on landings, and while the Slayblade wasn't lacking stability in comparison, it didn't stack up as well to ride as a playful board. Slayblade seemed to me like it would be a good all-around board, but not great for anything in particular. Not enough edge hold/stability for charging hills and riding lines I do on my Concept TMS (still haven't found a non-cambered board that rides the way I like for that), but not as playful as any other options for cruising or even a little park riding. Flatline tech hasn't sold me just yet, though I may give it another chance next year to compare to these Nitro Rook's I've heard so much about from some local riders. It's not that it doesn't function, but it definitely doesn't hold quite the same edge hold as a cambered board (as they claim), and wasn't different enough in the playfulness to make it what I'd want. It may be what you're looking for, but it wasn't what I wanted.

Quote:
It's nice to see someone else in my weight class lol. 250lbs. I got the 162 for kinda pissing around considering my local hill is a joke. mainly flatish runs with an ok park but it's still fun with friends.
I love mine for what it is. The ONLY time I wished I had taken another board instead, or even thought about it, was riding solid ice, and I knew going up I shouldn't have been taking it (but I wanted to test it out, especially with the new Data's). On the other hand, I have had days where I wished I'd had this, at least for part of the day, when riding the Concept TMS.
nx_911_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote