Board Purchasing Suggestions! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Robnaldo

Default Board Purchasing Suggestions!

Hello =)

I'm looking to take advantage of the sierrasnowboard sale on right now, and I need a little help.

First off I'm new to snowboarding, a few facts:

-5'9 150 lbs (I understand height means very little)
-24 years old
-Living in Calgary, Alberta
-I have been snowboarding three times so far, all on rentals
-Rode a 150, 155, and 160(was a wide?) Burton LRT so far
-I'm definitely a beginner, but I feel I have a handle on linking turns
-150 almost killed me(on my 2nd night not my first), liked the 155, really enjoyed the 160 but it was a little heavy
-Size 10 snowboard boot
-Will just be carving hills, with plans to eventually try the terrain park, but not until I can ride really well(so probably not this season)

I plan to buy a pair of boots today or tommorrow at a local shop; however if I can find a pair I like that are also on the website I will order them that way.

And hopefully with a couple of suggestions I will also be ordering bindings and a board from sierrasnowboard within the next....30 hours and 31 minutes =P

With that said I'm not limiting myself to that site, so any other suggestions are welcome =)

ps. the FAQ's and guides on this site have been really helpful so far, I appreciate them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ruckin69

I just bought a Never Summer F1 Premiere and rode it in about every east coast condition there is from ice to powder and absolutely love it. My wife got the Lotus and loves it as well. 3 year warrantee is sweet. Never had anyone say anything bad about them. Rocker Camber, variogrip, board is sick for freeriding all conditions. Dont think you'll be disappointed! I have a size 10 shoe and am 5'8" 160. I ride a 159 but would have gotten a 157 too.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Robnaldo

I would love a Never Summer, but it is definitely out of my price range...I probably should have mentioned my budget

I think I've decided to go with the 158 Flow Merc: (Haven't ordered just yet, so if you have any criticism let me know)
Flow Merc Snowboard Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

My budget for boots/bindings/board is $400 Canadian, but will to go over a little if required to get better boots. (450)
This board is 150 + shipping&exchange rate = $~208 Canadian

Which leaves 200-250 for boots and bindings.

Last edited by Robnaldo; 03-02-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnaldo View Post
I plan to buy a pair of boots today or tommorrow at a local shop; however if I can find a pair I like that are also on the website I will order them that way.
Go to a local shop and try on all the boots that you're interested in first. Find one that fits you perfectly, then leave and buy that one online (if you know it's a better price online and don't mind screwing the store rep over a bit ). You can not undervalue the need for a well fitted boot more than anything else. It's the only piece of equipment that is really personally specific and should get a good chunk of your budget; bindings and boards are pretty much commodities. There were some good looking deals at Sierra though; I wish I bought my 2010 Burton Rulers for that price!
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

The first thing I need to say is that I hate that I saw this post! I just looked at Sierras deals and I can get a Arbor Westmark for the price I paid for my Del Ray a month ago!!! Ahhh!

As for what you should buy, all I can suggest is that you read over the next 18 hours alot. There is alot of really good information on these forums that will lead you to the right purchase.

You shouldn't be on a 160, imo its to big for you. My buddy who is exactly your height/weight rides a 155 Ride Kink and wishes he got 153(which is what I am riding and I'm 190). I would suggest going no larger than 155.

Good luck! Let us know what you got.
Eightfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Robnaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightfingers View Post
The first thing I need to say is that I hate that I saw this post! I just looked at Sierras deals and I can get a Arbor Westmark for the price I paid for my Del Ray a month ago!!! Ahhh!

As for what you should buy, all I can suggest is that you read over the next 18 hours alot. There is alot of really good information on these forums that will lead you to the right purchase.

You shouldn't be on a 160, imo its to big for you. My buddy who is exactly your height/weight rides a 155 Ride Kink and wishes he got 153(which is what I am riding and I'm 190). I would suggest going no larger than 155.

Good luck! Let us know what you got.
Thanks for the help =)

Yeah, I've been reading my butt off, I think I've read every guide/FAQ I can get my hands on and searched several beginner threads.

I think I've decided to pair up the Board with 2010 Flow Quattro Bindings; heading out to Shoe shop right now.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

I think I've decided to pair up the Board with 2010 Flow Quattro Bindings; heading out to Shoe shop right now.
Everyone has their own opinion on flows, personally I would rather have toe cap straps or some Ride Nitrane Contrabands(all mountain over normal contrabands which are more park specific with a softer highback). I love my contrabands and recommend them to anyone now. Once set up right(which takes longer than normal bindings) they are super super comfy and responsive. Easy to get in and out of also, which I am assuming you want the flows for. Either way good luck man.
Eightfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Robnaldo

Alright, so I went out and purchased a pair of 2007 Celsius Xenon Lace size 8 1/2, turns out I'm not even close to a size 10...
They were the most comfortable boot that I tried in 5 different shops I went to tonight.

I'm about to order a 2010 Forum Merc and Quattro Flow bindings but not sure exactly what sizes I should get.

Should I get a 155 or 158 board?
Should I get large or medium bindings?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ruckin69

I'd go 158 with mediums but I'm not a pro at this. I'm 5'8" with a 159.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Alright, so I went out and purchased a pair of 2007 Celsius Xenon Lace size 8 1/2, turns out I'm not even close to a size 10...
They were the most comfortable boot that I tried in 5 different shops I went to tonight.

I'm about to order a 2010 Forum Merc and Quattro Flow bindings but not sure exactly what sizes I should get.

Should I get a 155 or 158 board?
Should I get large or medium bindings?
Totally normal with the boot sizing. You should go with something comfortably snug. I typically wear size 10 running shoes, but fit between an 8.5-9 depending on the boot brand.

As for sizing, either a 155 or 158 would be fine really. Turning will be easier on the 155, speeds will be slightly faster/more stable on the 158. You're pretty light, so the 155 should be plenty. I've got 30 lbs on you at 5'10" and ride a 155.

Binding wise you look to be at the top end of a Flow medium, though I'm not expert on how to fit them (are they easier to shrink down from an L, or to size up from a M?). I've only used Flows twice, and that was 4-5 years ago. They've changed a lot (for the better) since then.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote