Size question for intermediate rider. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Size question for intermediate rider.

I got into snowboarding this time last year. Now that I've been at it for a full season, I'm getting better at it and really starting to enjoy it. My current board is a Salomon Ace. I am 6'1", 215 lbs and I wear size 12 boots. My board is a 162cm board and it's the wide version. I ride left foot forward and my bindings are +21 and +6. I'm starting to feel like it's a bit too big. It is FAST. Gravity really loves me. It's a little faster than I like, and not as maneuverable. Would a shorter, non wide board be a little easier to maneuver? I just like to snowboard down the hill. I don't do jumps or anything crazy. My current board comes up to my bottom lip. What could I get that would slow down a bit and would be a little more maneuverable? Size recommendations are appreciated as well as a board recommendation. I figure I might be able to get a deal on a board for next season now that this one is almost over.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

You could of shorter if you wanted to but you need to stay with a wide board. Wide boards tend to be a little harder to ride due to the fact that its harder to go edge to edge so generally one only rides a wide if they must. If you were looking to go smaller for maneuverability you could, but i wouldn't recommend going smaller than like a 158cm due to your size.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

A shorter board would be a little slower and more maneuverable than your 162, depending on how small you were thinking of going. A non-wide or even a mid-wide board would make your edge-to-edge speed faster, but with size 12 boots that might be tough to find a regular board that would fit unless you had a really wide stance (possible). You'll need to review spec sheets and do some measurements to ensure you'll fit without overhanging either edge.

Another consideration would be a board with a decent amount of rocker. Rocker seems to make it feel like you are riding shorter than you actually are (probably due to the reduced surface area). Perhaps something like a 157W Machete (which people say would feel like a 155ish)?
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just got a 163 wide and I hope it's not too long. I am about 6' and 165lbs with a size 11 boot. I would think you would want to stay with a wide so you don't overhang your feet because that would definitely suck. When I was picking a board my friend said he liked to ride a longer board and with my hight I figured I would try it. I am hoping to go try it out this week so we shall see if I like it.

Last edited by pacificdrums; 03-02-2010 at 11:32 AM.
pacificdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

the 163 might be a bit big and you may not need a wide with that size boot.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammalik View Post
the 163 might be a bit big and you may not need a wide with that size boot.
Cant say I don't like it untill I try it right? It was a cheep board anyway so if I don't it's not a big deal.

KC10Chief
You could always rent a board and experiment with different sizes. I thinks some places will let you change it out if you don't like it.
pacificdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With a size 12 boot stick to things with 26cm waist ranges or larger ..

A buddy has size 13 Burton Rulers, that are supposedly using their "shrink" technology to really be like size 12's...he has a 25.9cm waist Sierra Crew and has acceptable overhang...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll just stick with my current board and work on my skills a bit more. My feet should be about shoulder width apart, right? I have my bindings mounted on the center 4 holes, front and back. Would a wider stance help with maneuverability? I think my stance is pretty comfortable though.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote