Looking for park board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for park board.

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a park board. I'm new to the park, but im not new to snowboarding. I was looking at the Nitro HazeNitro Haze Snowboard Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com. The description says it's for 'Jumping, jibbing, and buttering', but it seems like it's more for rails. So I'm stuck. I'm looking for something that has an 'All mtn. freestyle rocker' or something similar.

I'm:
  • Roughly 6 feet tall
  • 155lbs
  • Interested in jumps more than rails and boxes and still want to be able to ride some groomers and a couple steeps at a decent speed.

Thanks.

Last edited by Miles_K; 03-02-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Miles_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

I also say The Fourm Youngblood Forum Youngblood Chillydog Snowboard Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com. Would the Forum be better for progressing in the park than the Haze?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ive just gone through a similar search, and you and I have similar riding experience.

You absolutely want something with a rocker, banana, reverse camber set up. It will be the easiest to learn tricks on IMO.

I setteled on the K2 Parkstar. Worth a look for sure. Was 2010 TW Good Wood, very sweet stick.

Also may want to check out some boards by Capita - Ultrafear is gonna be super noodle and the Horrorscope is probably more what your looking for (although freaky graphics). Also give a look to Stepchild. If the Jib Stick was a little wider for my sz 12's, i would of likely picked that up! Anything by Lib or GNU should do the trick for u as well. Banana or Pickle power is legit.

Hope this helps!
uberR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_K View Post
I'm looking for something that has an 'All mtn. freestyle rocker' or something similar.

I'm:
  • Roughly 6 feet tall
  • 155lbs
  • Interested in jumps more than rails and boxes and still want to be able to ride some groomers and a couple steeps at a decent speed.

Thanks.
you are NOT wanting a "park" board.... i rode an all mtn board for YEARS.. and most of what i did was the park.. and i was pretty good... and the board i had was really stiff, long, and stable yet i could shred it in the park...

"park boards" are shorter, super flexible, and unstable at speed and off jumps.. so if rails and boxes are not your bag, then don't look for a "park board" (really a "street deck" is what you wanna stay away from, but find an all mtn and you'll be fine)
Old 03-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberR View Post
Ive just gone through a similar search, and you and I have similar riding experience.

You absolutely want something with a rocker, banana, reverse camber set up. It will be the easiest to learn tricks on IMO.

I setteled on the K2 Parkstar. Worth a look for sure. Was 2010 TW Good Wood, very sweet stick.

Also may want to check out some boards by Capita - Ultrafear is gonna be super noodle and the Horrorscope is probably more what your looking for (although freaky graphics). Also give a look to Stepchild. If the Jib Stick was a little wider for my sz 12's, i would of likely picked that up! Anything by Lib or GNU should do the trick for u as well. Banana or Pickle power is legit.

Hope this helps!
The Parkstar looked pretty sweet. How are you liking it?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
you are NOT wanting a "park" board.... i rode an all mtn board for YEARS.. and most of what i did was the park.. and i was pretty good... and the board i had was really stiff, long, and stable yet i could shred it in the park...

"park boards" are shorter, super flexible, and unstable at speed and off jumps.. so if rails and boxes are not your bag, then don't look for a "park board" (really a "street deck" is what you wanna stay away from, but find an all mtn and you'll be fine)

I still would like to do rails and boxes and all that jazz, but I would be doing jumps more often.
60%Jumps, 38% Rails, 2% groomers.
I'm not really looking for a board made for park/cruising steeps. I'm looking for one that was made for park but still could handle some steeps if necessary.

Should I look into a soft all mtn. board or should I go with a sorta-stiff park board?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_K View Post
Should I look into a soft all mtn. board or should I go with a sorta-stiff park board?
well all mtn boards are typically stiffer than park boards... but pipe boards.. (transitions) are real stiff

however, "park" boards (rated for jumps) are stiffer than ones for rails... the stiffer the board the pop-ier it will be off the jumps.. but butters and rails will be slightly more difficult..

if you wanna do more speed and big air than rails then go stiffer.. the stability is highly recommended when going BIG

Last edited by T-Rex; 03-02-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
T-Rex

take a look at a Rome Slash, or Vinyl.. (not necessarily ROME, just something that fits that description)