new board wax - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM
slash
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
new board wax

I just picked a new Machete tonight. I have an opportunity to get out tomorrow and I'm wondering if I need to get it waxed first or if the board at least comes with a crappy factory wax job that will hold up for a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
jumbosrule
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
You'll be fine. It's probably not even crappy - mine lasted two seasons before I had to re-wax for the first time. Of course, I only get out about 10 days a year. I noticed it starting to get ashy about half way through the second season, but it didn't impact performance at all. Lots of people think you need to wax much more often and they probably do to get the feel they like. Guess I just like a de-tuned board a little more.

Last edited by jumbosrule; 03-02-2010 at 05:43 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
 
redlude97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 1,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
No wax job lasts 20 riding days.
redlude97 is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Think about this... Snowboard wax is designed to melt snow and help you glide easier right? It's not there to protect your board exactly, or make it do any super humanish tricks right?

So why the shit would you not shred the stick just because you don't have a fresh hot wax on it from the factory?!?!

Shred the fucker and have some fun tomorrow and then wax it when you get a chance

And redlude is absolutely right... No way in hell is any wax lasting as long as jumbo is claiming. Unless your cool with feeling like you've got velcro on your stick. Call me weird but I prefer my stick to slide easily wherever I want it to woop

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
 
arsenic0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 2,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Think about this... Snowboard wax is designed to melt snow and help you glide easier right? It's not there to protect your board exactly, or make it do any super humanish tricks right?

So why the shit would you not shred the stick just because you don't have a fresh hot wax on it from the factory?!?!

Shred the fucker and have some fun tomorrow and then wax it when you get a chance

And redlude is absolutely right... No way in hell is any wax lasting as long as jumbo is claiming. Unless your cool with feeling like you've got velcro on your stick. Call me weird but I prefer my stick to slide easily wherever I want it to woop
Considering doing it yourself costs maybe 50 cents-$1 worth in wax, its just laziness not waxing your board properly. Hell ive been using the same Hertel Hot Sauce 20oz brick i bought at the beginning of last season and its still a quarter left..and im a wax fiend like every 2 times out as i enjoy doing it...plus ive waxed other peoples boards with the same bar...

'09 151 Never Summer SL-R
'10 K2 T1 DB Bots
'09 Burton Cartel Bindings
arsenic0 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Considering doing it yourself costs maybe 50 cents-$1 worth in wax, its just laziness not waxing your board properly.
Or he's got plans tonight? And it's not going to kill his stick if he shreds one day on the factory wax....

If it's a ride or not ride situation based upon whether he has a fresh wax on it or not, then shred the dam stick is what I'm sayin.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wax ur board... the factory wax may be too dry from sitting on tje shelf.

i made a mostake of not waxing my evo thing itll last a day. huge mistake. had trouble traversing and i wanted to break the board lol.
noe the board flies after i wax it. just do it... u dont want your friends to be passing u when u are om a new stick
Camor is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM
BBailey
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Or he's got plans tonight? And it's not going to kill his stick if he shreds one day on the factory wax....

If it's a ride or not ride situation based upon whether he has a fresh wax on it or not, then shred the dam stick is what I'm sayin.
I agree...giver hell. You and your board will be fine, factory wax jobs aren't the best but it's only one day and unless your a boardercross rider you probably won't notice much difference.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Bay2LA
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i had the impression that allowing your base to absorb as much wax as possible when new would help protect it and help it hold wax better in the future. reason being if you take out ur new unwaxed board all teh pres will up with grime and close up so it wont hold as much wax in the future.i just got my sierrascope today and waxed it thoroughly 3 times and i was surprised with how muc wax absorbed into the board compared to my other ones that i hardly waxed.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay2LA View Post
i had the impression that allowing your base to absorb as much wax as possible when new would help protect it and help it hold wax better in the future. reason being if you take out ur new unwaxed board all teh pres will up with grime and close up so it wont hold as much wax in the future.i just got my sierrascope today and waxed it thoroughly 3 times and i was surprised with how muc wax absorbed into the board compared to my other ones that i hardly waxed.
I dunno about all that...

Sierrascope has a sintered base so of course it would hold a lot of wax.

And the only way I know to close the pores is by over heating it. You can clean the pores with a base cleaner and your base is basically brand new.

I think I was only able to wax 1 of my boards before shredding it due to life and arrival time of the stick, and my boards are just fine.

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome