Snowboard Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
iLax

Default Snowboard Help

Hey guys,

I am looking for some advice on buying a new snowboard. I have been riding for a while, I would say an intermediate skill level, and have no problems hitting the blacks and double blacks, and am average in the terrain parks. I also currently have decided union force '10 bindings, do you believe this to be a good decision? I am mainly searching for an all mountain/freeride board that would go well with my current skill level.

From research, I have come to find that many people do not like Burton snowboards and that companies such as Rome, K2, and Never Summer are better? Is this true or just the opinions of fanboys?

So do you have any reccomendations for snowboards in particular that would fit my preferences and skill level?
I have considered the Never Summer Sl-R. Does anyone know if this board would be a logical selection for me?

Additional Info-

Weight: 135

Height 5'8

Foot Size: 9 1/2

Last edited by iLax; 03-03-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
iLax

No one has an answer?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

The SL would be fine. It could go all mountain into the park. But GL finding one, last time i looked it was sold out everywhere.
jim0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLax View Post
From research, I have come to find that many people do not like Burton snowboards and that companies such as Rome, K2, and Never Summer are better? Is this true or just the opinions of fanboys?
All opinions are inherently biased. Does Burton make bad boards? No. They also make a lot of very good boards. They just cost a lot for what they are. The big dog with all the money is always despised to some degree. Every company can and probably does make a "not so great" board or two along with all of the other gems, but this is all very subjective since everyone rides differently and likes different things.

Personally, I've been seriously eying a K2 Slayblade with similar riding habits. The SL-R is a great board as well, I'm just preferential to K2/Ride.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Board choice

Lots of decisions but all fun ones.

Here's some good info on board size and width.

I'm a Never Summer serious addict. Quality is part of the reason. Here's a link to what I saw at their factory and here's a link to their 2010 - 2011 catalogue.

Two bits of advice:

1) Buy quality. Cheap sucks.
2) Buy American-made. We need the jobs.

That should put you in the NS camp. ;-)
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
iLax

Thanks everyone for the responses. I really appreciate it. I have come to find that the best information on boards comes straight from the people riding them. This has made my general knowledge of snowboards much better.

Just on the side, does anyone know when the Never Summer '10-11 boards will be out?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What do you mean by "no problem hitting blacks and double blacks"? The double blacks out here in the west can kill a person, but blacks in midwest are a little different. If you're riding PNW double blacks, you should probably be giving US some advice...

If you're in deep powder and you like riding all mountain, I would recommend the Rome Design for a demo. It's been my favorite powder board so far. If you're on groomers and crud, however, it's chatty and not that much fun. What conditions are you riding?

EDIT: Don't let your buying choice be swayed by people who dislike companies for no logical reason. Rome boards are good and Burton boards are good. Unless you care about image, don't shy away from either one.
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
iLax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
What do you mean by "no problem hitting blacks and double blacks"? The double blacks out here in the west can kill a person, but blacks in midwest are a little different. If you're riding PNW double blacks, you should probably be giving US some advice...

If you're in deep powder and you like riding all mountain, I would recommend the Rome Design for a demo. It's been my favorite powder board so far. If you're on groomers and crud, however, it's chatty and not that much fun. What conditions are you riding?

EDIT: Don't let your buying choice be swayed by people who dislike companies for no logical reason. Rome boards are good and Burton boards are good. Unless you care about image, don't shy away from either one.
I live in the Northeast, and am relatively experienced in the freeride area of snowboarding, but not as much in the park, which is why I labeled myself as an intermediate rider. I dont know much about the mountains in the Pacific Northwest, so i couldnt really tell you. The double black diamonds are dangerous in some areas, particularly the ones I have been to in vermont. I get down some easier than others, but i still do not have any real trouble with them. I mainly rode around on the boards of various friends, and never got around to buying one of my own, which was the main reason i started this thread.

And yes, I could give plenty of advice in various topics relevant to riding, I was merely interested in gaining information on different snowboards and companies.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I see. If you guys get a lot of powder out there, then the Design would work for you well. It's made by Rome and I use it as my powder board, but I've not been turned into a non-conformist by its mystical powers or anything. My wife rides Burton and we haven't caused a tear in the space-time continuum either. Personally, I've always wanted to demo a Burton Fish, but never have.

Ignore all the anti-this company or anti-that company crap. You're safe with most big companies.
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
iLax

The amount of powder depends on the year, some years we have lots of it, others its icy. I go to a lot of different mountains too, so I don't know if i should commit to a powder board in variable conditions. I'll still look into it though, it sounds like a nice board.

I agree with the anti- company thing though. After cruising around the forums, it seems that big companies such as Burton make many quality boards, but their pricing is sometimes unreasonable when compared to the models of other companies, but of course, this is not always the case. Rather like what "Cooperstroopers" stated, the large company that controls a majority of the market of a certain industry is often subject to rebuke.