freestyle board for carving? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default freestyle board for carving?

alright so I am verging on considering myself an intermediate boarder. I go to a hill in minnesota (there is no mountains in mn, just hills) this hill is groomed, so there is usually no powder at all. I am a guy, 130 lbs and 5'9. I usually am carving the hill but i do sometimes hit the park. anyway i want to get a freestyle board for its flexibility but i am worried that it will be too unstable for carving at medium-high speeds. but if it is groomed snow will it be ok???
any response is much appreciated! =)
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

i ride a rome artifact 1985 all over the "hills". it works perfectly fine, just a little bit of chatter when ya bomb a run
avenged1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It's a trade off. Just the way it is.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can try to get a board with magnetraction. I've heard that helps hold an edge. Prolly best chance to be noticed on those "hills".

But I've also read that it's "wobbly" when flat based. Which is prolly a lot of your ride in parks, I presume.

Trade off I guess.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-03-2010 at 04:16 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

ride machete or never summer evo

11 Never Summer Heritage 158, 08 Rome Targa
10 Never Summer Premier F1-R 159
08 Nitro Eero Ettala 155, 07 Rome 390
07 Capita Outdoor Living 154
Cervelo Soloist Carbon Ultegra
bluetroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

look at the gnu park pickle.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
KuEy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
alright so I am verging on considering myself an intermediate boarder. I go to a hill in minnesota (there is no mountains in mn, just hills) this hill is groomed, so there is usually no powder at all. I am a guy, 130 lbs and 5'9. I usually am carving the hill but i do sometimes hit the park. anyway i want to get a freestyle board for its flexibility but i am worried that it will be too unstable for carving at medium-high speeds. but if it is groomed snow will it be ok???
any response is much appreciated! =)
Where you go to ride? I'm also from MN. I have a Burton Hero and it seems to work fine on all the hills I've been to. I've attempted some jumps at parks, but still not good enough to say if it's good for it, but it has good reviews. hahahaa.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuEy View Post
Where you go to ride? I'm also from MN. I have a Burton Hero and it seems to work fine on all the hills I've been to. I've attempted some jumps at parks, but still not good enough to say if it's good for it, but it has good reviews. hahahaa.
I recently demoed a Burton Hero and that thing doesn't carve for jack. Maybe at really slow speeds only. At any higher speeds it's really tiring to ride because it doesn't hold an edge and the board doesn't do any work. On the plus side, it's very forgiving and flexible for presses and whatnot. And when you land it doesn't catch real easy when you are a little off. The drawback...maybe have to get use to it...is that it overspins easy...but I guess this can be a "plus" depending on how you look at it...instead of slamming you to the floor that is. But it's definately really buttery.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
KuEy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
I recently demoed a Burton Hero and that thing doesn't carve for jack. Maybe at really slow speeds only. At any higher speeds it's really tiring to ride because it doesn't hold an edge and the board doesn't do any work. On the plus side, it's very forgiving and flexible for presses and whatnot. And when you land it doesn't catch real easy when you are a little off. The drawback...maybe have to get use to it...is that it overspins easy...but I guess this can be a "plus" depending on how you look at it...instead of slamming you to the floor that is. But it's definately really buttery.
Yea, it's my first board and my first year of riding, so I'm not sure of what it is really capable of and what it's not capable of. I like it so far though.