Women's board recommendation: Atomic Enemy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
adk

Default Women's board recommendation: Atomic Enemy?

I'm looking for a board for my girlfriend. She started riding this season, and she's still learning. She can get down the mountain but she is still working on linking turns together. Anyhow, she likes the sport enough to get her own equipment. We've been looking at the Burton Lux, the K2 Luna, Atomic Fallen Angel, Roxy Ally, and Atomic Enemy. The Atomic Enemy is available at a good price in her size (we're looking for something around 139-141; she's 5'0", 100 lbs). Does anyone have any feedback on the Atomic Enemy?
adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
adk

Anyone have any thoughts on the Atomic Enemy?

Also, the Burton Lux in 143 is gonna be too long, right? She has small bindings. Will they fit on a Lux 143?
adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

this is going to sound terrible, but my wife has an Atomic Tika that was very good to her that she's been trying to sell. It's a 140, good condition base, some chips from the bunny hill line.

It was a great board for her. She got bit by the RC-NS bug and it suits her style, but the Tika was a great stick for her to learn on.

IMO, Atomic makes some great women specific boards from seeing how my wife progressed on it.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the Atomic Enemy?

Also, the Burton Lux in 143 is gonna be too long, right? She has small bindings. Will they fit on a Lux 143?
2 cm will not be the end of the world. She should be ok on their, though turns will be a little slower. My wife is 5'1" and about 115 lbs and rides a 144 just fine.

As for the bindings, perhaps bring them to the store with you to size up the fit and placement on the board. They will still work, but it might not be as responsive if there is a big gap toe/heel to edge. It should be ok AFAIK; the difference between a Lux 139 and 143 at the waist is a mere 2 mm.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am about your wife's size and I learned on a 143 - it was fine and I was not a particularly fast learner. I currently ride a 141 and like that size even more.

The Enemy looks like Atomic's beginner board - great to learn on, but a board that your girl may outgrow pretty quickly. The K2 Luna, Atomic Fallen Angel, and Burton Lux are one step up from the beginner designation. This means that they are all boards that would still be pretty forgiving, but that may suit her riding needs a bit longer.

Overall, the list you offered is a good one. Any board would be good for her.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
dreaday19

Dang, I was going to try to sell you my roxy ally (only used 5 days - major buyer's remorse on my part), but it's a 152. The roxy ally is a step up from a beginners board, it's got the magnetraction, and is light and responsive, and gets decent speed too. I bought it (last years model, brand new, $240, great deal!!) being told it was a more advanced board. I'm a pretty good rider, but to be honest, don't know much about boards. Anyway, after a few days of riding it, I'm eh about it. I'd probably be super stoked if I was a more intermediate rider. It's not great on steeps or bumps (edgehold is not so hot, but on a more advanced level), but that probably won't affect her much. Hope this helps a little.