YOU! I need your help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
YourSoCool

Default YOU! I need your help!

So I am completely new to snowboarding...so, new, I have never even been! I lived my whole life in georgia, so not much snow boarding down there...i moved up to chicago a few years ago, and now work with alot of guys that like to take a few ski trips a year...

i will be going with them MLK day and am contemplating whether or not to buy something...my stats

Male
6'1"
220 lbs.
26 yrs old
size 10.5 wide shoe
Skateboarder in high school (not very good, but i can still ride around with no problem)

so i was thinking about renting first, but i have a friend that has been snowboarding for a while and said we could get together on some big hills around him and he could teach me the basics before MLK...so by the time i do that, and go on the trip, i will have rented over $100 worth...

i have no doubt that i will like snowboarding, but i dont want to spend a ton of jack..

i need advise on a board and bindings for under $400 total($300 would be better)...i plan to spend around another $100 on boots...also, thinking freestyle is the way to go

also, a size calculator recommends 158 cm long, which i though would be kinda short for my weight...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fliprip420

Thumbs up ok

As far as package deals go on boards and bindings you should go to some shops and see what they have, a lot of shops have deals on Burton board and bindings that aren't too bad.

Another tip would be do not skimp out and get cheap boots because it will just leave you uncomfortable for the whole trip.

For the board this is hard a 158 is kinda short for your weight but a lot of it depends on what kid of board you get and good way to check this out is most boards have charts on the back for height and weight. i have heard of people about your size also looking at mid-wide to full wide boards.

Another thing to look at is the shape of the board you get. If your going freestyle you probably want a true twin which means that your tail and nose are the same length. I have never heard of anyone learning on one of these though, usually people get directional boards for the first boards which means the nose is slightly longer then the tail.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
YourSoCool

so i went to the local shop today...all they carry is flow stuff..t3 dealer or something

they have a package with:
08 Flow Merc board
Flow Flite 2 Black bindings
Flow 07 Decade '

total price $420 + tax

i also get a coupon for half off ($40) a half day and a lesson at a local park

flow boards dont seem to be too popular, but i found the board and binding combo here

and here are the boots

i tried the boots on...the fit pretty good...

i was pretty happy with the way everything looked, but didnt want to commit without checking around first...

also, he recommended the 160 or 161 length

what do you guys think?
Old 12-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

RENT!

flow suck
Old 12-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
YourSoCool

i was thinking of renting, but by the time i go on my trip, i will have spent alot more money...i may or may not get to try something that i would end up buying anyway...i am pretty sure that i am going to enjoy boarding (at least as an excuse to get out with the guys a few times a year)

how about any of these boards:

k2 board
nitro board
nitro board
morrow board

as for bindings, is $80 to $100 a decent price range? they all pretty much look the same...the flow thing seemed kinda cool, but a little gimmiky...