Sierra Crew (2008 Burton Custom) Edge tuning...not so simple? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sierra Crew (2008 Burton Custom) Edge tuning...not so simple?

Hey guys,

I just got my Sierra Crew which i believe is a 2008 Burton Custom. I'm not sure exactly how close they are, but whatever.

I'm trying to figure out the factory edge bevel specs.

First of all, it has the 10:45 edges. But from what i gather, the 45deg part doesnt matter as far as tuning. What does the 10 part mean? its surely not a 10degree angle...?

I have a basic 88/90 edge tool and the 88deg part seems to fit nice and flush on the edge. So apparently it has a 88degree from the base edge angle. The base angle/bevel i can't measure, so i don't know. Actually i guess i could put the 90 or 88 degree part of my tool on the side and see if it matches the base bevel... but really it doesnt matter to me right now because i can't change that myself anyway.

The interesting thing though is that the nose and tail seem to be factory detuned. By feel, id say they're def not as sharp as the sides. Also, i swear the edge angle seems to change to be less aggressive at the nose and tail. Is that possible?

Is this thing more complicated than normal? Should i even bother messing with it? It was a bit catchy and through me once or twice while carving down the mountain. I ride 100% all mountain/freeride w/ a few jumps.
TXBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm only going to comment on the 10:45

My X8 has the same, this isn't your edge, this is your sidewall. The angles are supposed to add strength to the sidewalls, it's not related to the metal edges.

Take a few days on the board and see if getting used to it makes it less catchy.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

righto. yeh i agree, i'm not going to mess w/ this board for awhile. I mainly want to get my head around how it all works.

Tonight my lady friend and I are going to tune her board which is an ex-rental and is in sort of rough shape.
TXBDan is offline   Reply With Quote