Info and opinions on Magnetraction! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Info and opinions on Magnetraction!

Any opinions on magnetraction?
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i love mtx. i got a lib tech trs mtx acouple years ago and it holds its edge so well. some will complain that it can feel too "grabby" but i have never experienced that. it holds an edge extremely well on hardpack and better on ice than a normal edge.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the 09/10 Lib Tech T.Rich C2BTX which if you don't know uses magnetraction and I love it as well...I would not call it grabby at all. Holds ice better than any other board I have ridden. My wife rides a GNU Carbon Credit BTX and she like it as well.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i've been snowboarding for 15 years and would consider my self an advanced "turner" and i have nothing but good things to say about mtx. I went from a standard 161 cambered free ride board to a lib snow mullet btx 165. Rocker and taper can make boards turn a little weird but this board is just smooth through turns. Only time i notice the mtx is on icy traverses when it is doing its magic, also its a big help when onefootin and billygoatiing into tricky spots.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It's a joke...I ride the icy mnts of NH and magnetraction has no benefits over regular sidecut boards. If anywhere this concept should work it would be the conditions I'm forced to ride everyday.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
It's a joke...I ride the icy mnts of NH and magnetraction has no benefits over regular sidecut boards. If anywhere this concept should work it would be the conditions I'm forced to ride everyday.
I'm calling B.S. on this... MTX ABSOLUTELY grips better compared to a regular sidecut board on ice and chop...
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyface View Post
i love mtx. i got a lib tech trs mtx acouple years ago and it holds its edge so well. some will complain that it can feel too "grabby" but i have never experienced that. it holds an edge extremely well on hardpack and better on ice than a normal edge.
What's "grabby"?

I've read that it can be wobbly during flat-basing. Is this true? And is this what grabby means? It grabs the edges and wiggles it?
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
dreaday19

I rode an mtx this year, and while i think it does better than a regular sidecut board, I'm not entirely convinced of it's benefits. My board is still traditional camber with the mtx. I really want to try a rocker.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

grabby means it doesnt want to transfer edges. and ive never had my mtx board wobbly flat based, maybe thats for btx.
crazyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

It definitely makes a difference. About 50% of my riding this year has been east coast and all I can say is I wish all my boards had magnetraction.

When I first rode my skate banana I experienced a little bit of the grabbiness that people have described so I detuned tip & tail a little and I have never felt it since then. Honestly though it was never that big of a deal in the first place.
ChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote