Time for an upgrade? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
mwharrell

Default Time for an upgrade?

Long time reader, first time poster.

I started snowboarding two seasons ago, at which point I bought my current board, a 167 burton floater (either 1999 or 2002) with similarly aged custom bindings for about $65 off craigslist. Since then, I've decided that I really enjoy snowboarding, so much so that I bought a season pass to my local mountain this last season.

I really want to continue snowboarding, but as I've started hitting small/medium sized jumps, I've noticed that my floater doesn't have much "pop" to it. Also, I've noticed some instability at higher speeds, especially in average to below average snow.

I never plan on my skills being more than mediocre, really all I want to do is bomb down the hill, catch a little air in the terrain park and hit a flat box or two. Do I need a newer, more expensive board to do so? Is my older board holding me back at all, or should I ride it until it breaks?

Concerning upgrading my rig, I really like the sales over at dogfunk right now. While there's certainly a distaste for burton products on this message board, I can't help but feel inclined to want to purchase a 164W Bullet w/ custom bindings for $230, it just seems like a steal. Please feel free to offer me other suggestions, however, I'm looking to spend $250 max if I need a new setup.

6'4" Male
210 lbs
13 boot

Stay fresh, thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

first of all, if you dont think your skills will surpass mediocre, then just give up and dont waste your money. aim to get better and you will.

second, a better board will help you progress, but then again its mainly the rider and not the board. if you have the money and are willing, then go ahead.

third, distaste for burton is just because they're top dog - there's always going to be people saying they're crap and promote fringe/smaller companies. burton didnt get to the top making shit, so go with a burton board if it suits your riding style.
mrpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
mwharrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpez View Post
first of all, if you dont think your skills will surpass mediocre, then just give up and dont waste your money. aim to get better and you will.

second, a better board will help you progress, but then again its mainly the rider and not the board. if you have the money and are willing, then go ahead.
I didn't mean to insinuate I wasn't going to advance in the sport, but theres quite a few terrain features and tricks out there I would never consider doing. Imo, nothing wrong with being average at somethings in life. Call me an old man, but I'm a bit too milquetoast to be tricking like the life-timers out there.

If my board isn't a huge concern, then I'll most likely stick with the one I have. I had just assumed that some major technological advancement had occurred in the past 10 or so years that mandated an upgrade.