Board gurus: smallest waist width for women? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Board gurus: smallest waist width for women?

So I was browsing through posts today, looking for board reviews, and ran across a few posts about foot size and waist width. I have never really thought much about it, since I have small feet and never really needed to worry about overhang.

According to what I read at wiredsport.com, your foot size should be equal to or slightly larger than the width of your board at the binding contact points. Now, I have a tiny foot and this has piqued my curiosity, so I measured my bare foot against my board's width. My foot is 21.5 centimeters (Mondopoint measurement. Shoe size measures at a 3.5 wms) and there is a good 1.5-2 inches of space between my toes (when my heel is against my heel edge) and the toe edge of my Gnu B-street.

I have ridden a few boards over the last two seasons. Two boards felt good and two felt difficult to turn. I always blamed the turning problems on the torsional stiffness of the board, but now I'm wondering if the problems could have more to do with waist width than stiffness. Perhaps the torsional stiffness of a board is compounded by the additional width, making turning harder??? The boards I've turned easily: Ride Rapture and Gnu B-street. Boards I've found I've really had to "push" hard to get toeside: Never Summer Infinity-r and Arbor Eden.

Board specs:
2010 Gnu B-street 141: 273 tip/tail, 237 waist
2010 NS Infinity-r 145: 275 tip/tail, 234 waist
2009 Ride Rapture 143: 273.9 tip/tail, 237 waist
2009 Arbor Eden 144: 275 tip/tail, 234 waist

I provided tip/tail measurements as well as waist measurements because I know that the width of the binding contact point matters more than the wishy-washy "waist" width.

Sooo...is waist width making turning more difficult than it should be? What women's boards have the thinnest widths at the bindings? At this point, I am comfortable on my B-street, but am a bit of a equipment whore. I'd like to consider board width as I'm searching for the next addition to my quiver.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Maybe you can look at kids boards.

Thinner waists = easier turning ... seems to be a factor in performance boards as well.

In alpine racing boards, they are really thin.

In this board I had called the Lib Tech Dark Series, it says that the narrow waist allows it to do quick edge to edge transitions for "critical lines for launches and landings on mega booters" or some crap like that.

But I also heard that narrow boards aren't good for people who are learning. Because with quick edge changeability comes the necessity for more precise control.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

When you mount the binding, did you try to move it closer to the toe side? I move it up a little bit and it works better for me.
Camor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't have any input as to the smallest waist womens board because I've never had to research it. But if you have negative heel/toe overhang, it will make generating the necessary leverage over your edge difficult. If you are still 3/4 inch away from the edges at 0 angle, you'll have to exert alot more effort to dig in hard. Imagine trying to tip a trapezoid with its four points being your heel, toe and two edges. I'm going up tomorrow so if I come across anyone with small feet, i'll see what they're riding

I always wondered how little lilfoots foot was

Last edited by sook; 03-06-2010 at 12:59 PM.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Here are some pictures. One of my foot straight on at the true waist, one of my foot at an angle at the binding insert. I'm screwed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2122.JPG (173.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2123.JPG (161.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Here are some pictures. One of my foot straight on at the true waist, one of my foot at an angle at the binding insert. I'm screwed.
Aww, what cute lil feet!

Actually, that's not THAT bad. I stepped on my Dark Series (narrow board) with my heel to one side and there's like 1/2 inch between the edge and my toe. And this board is the stiffest board in the brand and it's supposed to be made for edge to edge transition. I guess it depends on your turning. Maybe this board was meant to turn by leaning at high speeds vs. "twisting" or whatever it is that you are doing in your turns.

I used to ride a wider board (I don't have it with me to see because I left it with a friend) and it was fine.

Just make sure your boot is pretty much centered.

BTW, that's not 2 inches. If that was 2 inches (about the length of your toe), that's not a lil foot, imo. lol

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-06-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't know what you weight but you probably could get away with a kids board...

I'm pretty sure a few companies are making mean kid sticks these days
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
I don't know what you weight but you probably could get away with a kids board...

I'm pretty sure a few companies are making mean kid sticks these days
Uggghhh...I don't know. The kids' boots I've tried have been very very soft and poorly made. I weigh just over 100 pounds, so I'm not as light as a child. I would also not want to get a board that's too short. The Burton Feelgood Smalls 141 is only a millimeter or two off of my current board's measurements. I'd have to drop down to a 120cm board to get a waist width that even comes close to matching my shoe size.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ya I dunno...

I know the Space Metal Fantasy in a size 143 has a 22.9 waist.

Not sure what any other female boards are... May have to do some research and check out all the companies chicks boards
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Wiredsport article you read is BS. If you're feet were that big you would have have massive overhang and would wash out in any hard turn or skid. Unless you are always like riding 30/15 or more in some form or bombing race...much like how hardbooters stand.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-06-2010 at 04:54 PM.