Side Bevelling concern - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
bluddah

Question Side Bevelling concern

okay so im trying to bevel the side edge of my sierrascope to 2 degrees. when i run the file on the edge, i see white shavings (not metal shavings like when i did the base edge). is that white shavings coming from the bottom of the sidewall? is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like dandruff. You should take it to a shop and ask them if you can watch. Posting that on here indicates that you may not be ready to tune your own edges, grasshopper.
DBLdangerTILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
bluddah

do you mean wax? the board hasnt been waxed yet, and this is coming from the side edge, not the base. ive never changed the angle of an edge before but i have maintained it many times.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

While it is possibly true that you are not ready to tune your own edges, you are already knee deep, so I will try to help a bit.

It is likely your sidewall, it really shouldnt be shaving off, though, unless the board has had it's edges sharpened a lot. That being said, some boards do have the sidewall positioned to where this could happen. You want to get a sidewall cutter to cut some of that away. Some multi-angle side edge sharpeners can adjust to 6deg or so, that would allow you to shave away some of the sidewall, then go back to your 2deg setting and sharpen.

The best way to know if you have gotten all of the edge to the right angle is to run a sharpie down the length of the area to be sharpened. Once you are sharpening the edge, you will notice the marker going away as you work. Once all areas are clear of marker, you are done. Be careful, though, if you have a low spot and use this method, you will just be magnifying the low spot and can cause the board to ride a bit funny on that edge.

Just be sure you always have your tool set correctly, or the file clamped in correctly.

--buba
Bubalouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
bluddah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubalouie View Post
While it is possibly true that you are not ready to tune your own edges, you are already knee deep, so I will try to help a bit.

It is likely your sidewall, it really shouldnt be shaving off, though, unless the board has had it's edges sharpened a lot. That being said, some boards do have the sidewall positioned to where this could happen. You want to get a sidewall cutter to cut some of that away. Some multi-angle side edge sharpeners can adjust to 6deg or so, that would allow you to shave away some of the sidewall, then go back to your 2deg setting and sharpen.

The best way to know if you have gotten all of the edge to the right angle is to run a sharpie down the length of the area to be sharpened. Once you are sharpening the edge, you will notice the marker going away as you work. Once all areas are clear of marker, you are done. Be careful, though, if you have a low spot and use this method, you will just be magnifying the low spot and can cause the board to ride a bit funny on that edge.

Just be sure you always have your tool set correctly, or the file clamped in correctly.

--buba
thanks. info really helped. sharpie worked like a charm and turns out it was a bit of the sidewall. thanks!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just use a retracting razor and run it back an forth down your sidewall to get rid of the ptex that's "in the way". You can just angle the blade a little more than 2 degrees, though it doesn't have to be that accurate. Depending on your sidewall, it can be like 10 or something. I just tried it and it works. It might get dull so a breakaway blade one is ideal.

You don't really need to get an expensive planar unless you are going to do yours and a bunch of the ski team's. Wear you goggles in case the blade snaps and flies into your eye.

You want to get rid of the sidewall because it will make your edge cutting uneven and you don't really want that.

NOTE: If your board is cap construction, the fiberglass is harder than ptex. So you might have to cut a little slower and carefully.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-07-2010 at 02:17 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote