Outgrowing a board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Outgrowing a board?

Hey. I'm new to snowboarding and I'm looking at buying a beginners board like a Burton Clash or something.

Assuming I progress at an average pace, how long would it take me to outgrow the board? At what point would I know I've outgrown the board and need to upgrade to a higher end board?

Thanks!
simby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't understand this whole buying "beginner boards" thing. Why not just buy a decent board to start with?

If you want a beginner board just to learn on, hop on CL and pick up something cheap, then buy a good board.

I just don't understand spending decent money on a board to just learn on with the intention of buying a better boarrd pretty much as soon as you're decent.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's easier to learn and pick up skills with a beginner board is it not? I guess it really depends on how much difference a beginner vs. intermediate/advanced board makes when learning how to snowboard. If the difference is not significant, then ya, no need to buy a beginner board.
simby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simby View Post
It's easier to learn and pick up skills with a beginner board is it not? I guess it really depends on how much difference a beginner vs. intermediate/advanced board makes when learning how to snowboard. If the difference is not significant, then ya, no need to buy a beginner board.
If you are a true beginner and you are trying to learn on an advanced board it is just going to frustrate you and slow down the learning process. Most people prefer softer boards on the smaller side at first. Something they can manipulate and get the feel of before they try to tackle more board.

Take advantage of demo days to try out different boards and ask friends if you can take theirs for a spin for a couple of runs. When you ride different boards back to back it becomes really obvious what the differences are and you can start to get a feeling for what works for you and what doesn't work for you.
ChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuChu View Post
Take advantage of demo days to try out different boards and ask friends if you can take theirs for a spin for a couple of runs. When you ride different boards back to back it becomes really obvious what the differences are and you can start to get a feeling for what works for you and what doesn't work for you.
It can also give you a severe case of board envy haha. I went from my Darkstar to a friend's vapor to another friends Brigade. All very different boards.
boardaddict is offline   Reply With Quote