Telling the difference between different boards??? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
spxdcz

Default Telling the difference between different boards???

How 'good' do you have to be before you notice the difference between different (but similar-ish) snowboards?

I originally rode a K2 Access Wide (163), then swapped a few years ago to a Ride Yukon (163). The difference was really noticeable; much more aggressive to turn, and more stable at speed.

Last week, after riding the Yukon for a few days of the trip, I tried out a Rome Flag (160) [side note: I was trying Rome boards originally because I was looking for a freestyle board - the Slash - but somehow got talked into trying the Flag...]. I realise both the Yukon and Flag are similar 'style' boards (freeride), but due to the difference in manufacturer, year of production, length/width, etc, I was surprised to find very little difference between the boards in the day (I mainly cruise the pistes, hit small kickers now and again, and ride easily-accessibly powder occasionally).

I should also say that my Yukon has Flows (Pro 11? something like that), and I was trying Targas with the Flag.

So, am I just not 'good' enough to notice the difference? Am I not pushing my snowboarding enough for the boards to display their true qualities? Or, are most similarly-priced (similar style) snowboards just not that 'different'? I wonder, because when you read reviews (especially on forums, etc), people are deeply passionate (and/or critical) of certain makes/models (Rome seem to get consistently high-praise, whereas the Yukon gets its lovers and haters), so I was expecting a completely different ride...

Any thoughts gratefully received! I'm heading out to Tahoe in Jan, so am hoping to try some other boards... I don't really know why - I love my Yukon - but everyone is so full-of-praise for Rome, that it sort-of makes me want one... Plus, as I start to spend more of my time trying to 'get air', I figure the Yukon may not be the best board for me to progress with more freestyle in my riding?

Dan