Want to get my first board/bindings/boots - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Berticus

Default Want to get my first board/bindings/boots

Borrowed one of my friend's boards and went out twice this season. Want to get my own board. For the foreseeable future, I don't imagine myself doing tricks/freestyle/riding park.

So from what I can gather, I want either directional twin or true twin (preferred), since I would like to be able to ride switch. I do a lot of things abidextrously, and wouldn't want to limit that with snowboarding. Although I'm not sure if this would be better, or if I should just get a snowboard with excellent performance in freeriding, and just switch the bindings when I feel like riding with a different lead foot.

Should I be looking for a relatively stiff board if I don't plan on doing park?

I used the sizing guide/calculator from frostyrider, and it suggested I aim for a 156--158 (preferred 157) board. I'm 5'5.75" and currently weigh 150 lbs, although I think my weight will go up to 170 or 185-ish. It's difficult to predict how much I'll eventually add, so I'm trying to get some wiggle room for the added weight.

So I seem to have a wide selection, and not quite sure what exactly I should be looking for:
Salomon Drift
Forum Destroyer
Forum Seeker
Forum Substance
DC BDR
GNU Rider's Choice
Never Summer Premier F1-R
Never Summer Legacy-R
Arbor Westmark
Arbor Del Rey
Arbor Draft
Capita Scaremaster

I know the graphics shouldn't play a part in the decision process, and it usually doesn't for me, but I gotta say I looove the wood grain looks on Arbor boards.

Edit
I am absolutely lost with boots and bindings. I know I should try both in shop and make sure they are compatible with each other. I'm guessing with a stiff board, I'll probably want a stiff boot too?

I'm also undecided on the camber.

Last edited by Berticus; 03-09-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: update list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 02:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

hey man, my second board was a Riders Choice and its a great board. it slays trails and handles great at high speeds. and later if you decide you wanna try some park stuff the riders choice is great in there too. its on the stiffer side but has enough flex to have some fun. its not a true twin tho, its set back a little but you can get the bindings pretty close to twinned up. the tail is a bit shorter too which annoyed me because i have a thing about symmetry.

i was looking at the forum substance this winter but decided against it because its a rocker. i like jumping and ppl say rockers not great for jumping. i dont think it handles well if you wanna go fast and straight line either. i dont know tho so you'll have to ask someone with reverse camber knowledge. the destroyer is a twin kill everything kind of board, more geared towards powerful riders because its pretty stiff. i dont know much about the other companies. this is my own personal opinion, but i hate k2 and rossignol...why buy a board from a ski company? ride is for trendy steezers and lamar is crap unless you really dont care about boards.

for bindings i am firm believer in burton for their tech, style and comfort. i've had three pairs and loved them all. the Triads are the most comfortable bindings ever. i think flow makes a good binding too and i've heard good things about union. i say fuck ride bindings but thats just me! i like burton boots too or anything with the BOA system. i have burton rulers and the speed zone is the shit.

hope i helped haha go to your local board shop and ask some questions. its good to feel some boards for yourself rather than go by what websites say.
ready2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Berticus

Thanks for the feedback, I was worried I might've done something wrong there

I thought Riders Choice was true twin... That's what it says on pretty much all the sites, I've checked.

Ok, so I scratched boards from K2, Rossignol, Ride, and Lamar from the list. I should've known there was a reason why I never saw Lamar being mentioned on here.

I've been riding with laces, and haven't had any issues with them. But I'll look into boas.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berticus View Post
Should I be looking for a relatively stiff board if I don't plan on doing park?
You don't need a super stiff board unless you plan to be on powder. A good mid-flex board will work great all across the mountain.

Quote:
I used the sizing guide/calculator from frostyrider, and it suggested I aim for a 156--158 (preferred 157) board. I'm 5'5.75" and currently weigh 150 lbs, although I think my weight will go up to 170 or 185-ish. It's difficult to predict how much I'll eventually add, so I'm trying to get some wiggle room for the added weight.
Going from 150 to 180 isn't going to give you much leeway on board length. That's a pretty big weight jump. If you really expect to get up to 180, then a 156-158 will work fine. (My groomer board is a 158 and I weigh 180). I would go smaller if you don't plan on putting on that much weight. For 150-160 lbs, you could probably do something in the low 150's. Board length isn't a science and a calculator is just giving you a rough idea. Your best bet is just to go with what feels right.

Quote:
So I seem to have a wide selection, and not quite sure what exactly I should be looking for:
Selecting a specific board just amounts to doing the research and pulling the trigger. If you're really torn, do a demo and see how you like the board. Don't fret over it for too long, it's not worth it.

Quote:
I am absolutely lost with boots and bindings. I know I should try both in shop and make sure they are compatible with each other. I'm guessing with a stiff board, I'll probably want a stiff boot too?
For bindings, you probably want a mid flex, but maybe something adjustable like Rome Targas. They are good all over the mountain. As for boots, I personally love BOAs, but it's a preference choice. If you're going to spend good money, spend it on the boots. They're the most important part of your boarding experience, they will make or break your day. Again, you probably want a mid flex boot. Too soft and you'll have issues in powder, too stiff and you'll have a lot less forgiveness on crud.
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Berticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
If you're going to spend good money, spend it on the boots. They're the most important part of your boarding experience, they will make or break your day.
That advice seems to be tossed around with everything from helmets, to boots, to bindings, to goggles... except for the actual board.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
That advice seems to be tossed around with everything from helmets, to boots, to bindings, to goggles... except for the actual board.
Actually this is the most common advice for a reason. The other stuff is important too, but the biomechanical importance of boots outway all the others.
Basically try on a bunch of boots and find one that fits the best. If it is higher than you budgeted for boots, spend it, and cut back on the other items. Not the other way around.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Montana View Post
You don't need a super stiff board unless you plan to be on powder. A good mid-flex board will work great all across the mountain.
Actually a stiff board typically makes it harder to ride powder unless it is longer and wider than your normal deck. If you check out powder decks they have a bowed up nose or wider softer nose with a narrower tail or swallow tail. This is to help keep the board tilted from nose to tail up in the powder to promote float.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I could care less about helmets and bindings. While you shouldn't cheap out, if you only have $250 to spend, you should spend it all on boots and get back to saving for the rest of your gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsnowboarder View Post
Actually a stiff board typically makes it harder to ride powder unless it is longer and wider than your normal deck. If you check out powder decks they have a bowed up nose or wider softer nose with a narrower tail or swallow tail. This is to help keep the board tilted from nose to tail up in the powder to promote float.
I'm pretty sure this guy isn't going to be hitting off-piste chutes since he went twice this year. So if your lesson is directed at me, you're wasting your time since I already know.
Rome Anthem 158

Last edited by Flick Montana; 03-09-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Berticus

If it helps, I was looking to put down $500--$700 for the snowboard/boots/bindings.

I think I've limited it down to Forum Destroyer, Forum Seeker, Gnu Riders Choice, Never Summer Legacy-R, but I've also added Arbor Element and Arbor A-Frame.

My friend said handling a smaller board is typically easier than handling a longer board, so I guess it's best if I stick with something closer to my weight?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Go try on and find the perfect set of boots now then before stores change out their winter gear which will happen in the next few months.

As a general rule IMO most quality boots will start in the $200+ range at MSRP full price. But there are a lot of sales going on where you can get them much cheaper if you act fast...but only buy the boots IF you have tried the exact same model and size in a store...a size 9 Burton Moto is nothing like a size 9 Burton Ruler or Hail...

From there find some bindings and board with what you have left...a 156-158 would fit you perfectly. Even if you stayed at your current weight it should work fine...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote