Bevel, or just sharpen/detune? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bevel, or just sharpen/detune?

Hello... I've been reading the guides for edge mainainence, wehich all give the different angles to bevel your board at for different types of riding, but if we already like the angle the edge comes with, should we just run a coarse whetstone, a fine whetstone, and a gummy stone along the edge, and be on our merry way, or is there something i'm missing?

Also, would you do the edges before or after a waxing... if you were to do both?
veazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
bluddah

definitely do edges before waxing. i want to try to keep as little amount of debris/grit on my base as possible. so everytime i clean up the edges, i wax it afterwards and wipe off the stuff that may have got on there from the tuning.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default And the other question?

But do I need to redo the angle every time, or can I just sharpen the edges like i would with a knife and remove the burrs?
veazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veazer View Post

Also, would you do the edges before or after a waxing... if you were to do both?
i would do my edges after waxing. Once u start filing, ur gonna have shavings stuck to your base and its a pain to remove them all.
The last thing u want to do i lay wax atop of that.

What you can also do, is wax your board, and after your done with that, get some masking tape and lay it across both effective edges to protect it from any metal impregnation

Most all mtn boards come with a 1* base bevel and 1* side edge angle...so find out for sure what ur angles are and get urself file guides to those specs that way you will never change the angles.

If u just want to polish your edges then yes, just wet a fine diamond stone ( or gummy stone, same thing ) and lightly run it across your edges.

But i always use a file guide...thats just me
Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
$yen

I think a file guide might take off too much. I'm lazy and use the quick sharp edge tool. It has a zirconium insert to help take out bigger nicks and a diamond insert for more minor stuff and polishing. That should keep the side edge sharp. It also has a metal file, but I rarely use that.

You don't need to change your angles everytime. I would recommend against that.

Check out my blog that has info on how to do edge tuning:
Boarder Gear: Maintenance
Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Madd Man

Default 3 step tune

Step one: sharpen edges. I use a quick edge tool.

Step two: clean base. wipe off shavings, scrape any extra wax off (I use a razorblade), and if you want it to look pretty use a base cleaner

Step three: wax/scrape/buff I use that green scotch brite stuff after I hit it with the scraper. I think this smooths it out even more and pushes the wax into the base a little more too.