Looking For A Solid Pipe and Powder Deck - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking For A Solid Pipe and Powder Deck

i know technically this is a bit of a buggy one. Im getting some sound advice at sierra, but spreading the net a bit if you dont mind.

A bit of background: About to start season 4 (well, in december/january next year), and got a real taste for playing in the trees and semi-backcountry at niseko, but also loved loved loved riding up and down walls and the natural halfpipes dotted outside the gates. I reckon its time to start moving a bit more seriously in those directions, but i dont want to focus entirely on one to the detriment of the other. Loved my sierrascope, but it just didnt feel aggressive enough for what i wanted to do so looking for something that will complement it.
The aim is to find basically a mid stiff (7ish on the international flex scale that everyone abides by), directional freestyle, twin, freeride, tapereable powder-pipe deck
Oh, and i got a bit of a taste for air this year, so if it has wings, i probably want it.

As i say, i know its a stupid thing to look for at the end of the day, but im getting some positive hits so far:

Top of the list has been the food court gansta which honestly im really stoked on, sounds awesome, just wish it had a sintered base.
Second may be the quiver killer which seems like the update (and may actually be the board i want).
Rome design was also mentioned, but seems a bit heavy on the pocket.
Finally also got a mention for ride society.

Any advice is honestly appreciated, im definitely looking for a more aggressive board, ill use my scope for more playful messing around days, but really want a board thats going to smack me around a bit. If i had to put it in figures, im talking about a 60% natural terrain/powder emphasis and 40% pipe/jump emphasis if that makes sense. This will probably translate into a twin freeride that slays pow in truth. If you can work out my nonsense and know what i want despite my words getting in the way, please throw some ideas in. ill research it, i just need the pointers.

Last thing: 5'10" and 175lbs. Thinking something around 159. Rode a 163 once and it felt like i was strapped to a canoe

Thanks guys and girls, i appreciate the help particularly given that i yammer on.
ippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Seems to me you're looking for an impossible board. Something that works well for the pipe (generally stiff and cambered) isn't what you want for pow. If you really want a pipe deck, I'd look for a pipe board and ride your Sierrascope on pow days. The Sierrascope isn't the best pow board in the world, but it'll do pretty well and certainly better than a pipe specific board.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

There's definitely going to be a little bit of a trade-off if you're looking for a one board quiver. I'm personally looking at a Ride Society, since really my East Coast exposure to real powder days is pretty minimal (better to get a board for the majority of your days, and just make it work for the rare pow days than spend the money on a pow deck I'll rarely use). The Salomon Official is also a great pipe board.

Other considerations might be something like the Lib Tech TRS (BTX makes it handle pow pretty well, MTX, and directional setup make it solid for the pipe), and Gnu Danny Kass C2 BTX (same reasons, but has a hybrid rocker-camber profile). Both of those would be a tad softer (more like a 6 at 159), but suitable all purpose.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That's the thing. I don't think he needs to be looking for a do it all board. He already has the Sierrascope which is a pretty good do it all board. If he wants to progress in the pipe, I'd say get a pipe specific board and use the Sierrascope for all-mountain and pow.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
That's the thing. I don't think he needs to be looking for a do it all board. He already has the Sierrascope which is a pretty good do it all board. If he wants to progress in the pipe, I'd say get a pipe specific board and use the Sierrascope for all-mountain and pow.
Agreed. The Sierrascope is already rockered and stiff enough to get through pow and the rest of the mountain. It's no pow beast, but unless you're in it all the time, probably not worth the investment.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

capita quiver killer or capita black death board, burton custom x, bataleon jam or goliath

just some ideas
Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Custom X is a helluva pipe board and really good all-mountain as well. One can be had right now for $365 as part of Sierra's "F U to Burton" sale. That's still pricy, but a really good value considering that's a $700+ board.

With a Sierrascope and Custom X in the quiver, you wouldn't be wanting for much board wise.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Burton Custom X

Yeah it's a B, haters get over it. This board is sick. Very aggressive, stiff, FAST, and responsive in the steeps, trees, chutes, and backcountry. Awesome float in Pow, and hard hitting on the jumpline. This is an expensive board but there are ways to save money on it and the EST bindings that should go with it. It's not a jib, butter, or press board though, way too stiff. But if you're into face melting straightlines, backcountry, raising the landing gear, or all mountain hard charging riding, then I'd look in that direction.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

ha! i dont mind if its burton or not (well, other than the channel and having to factor in new bindings on top of the price). In fact, what with the lifting of international restrictions, im pretty stoked that its even available to me

Anyone have a bit of experience with the quiver killer though? It seems kind of top of my consideration (along with food court gangsta).

Also, as for the scope in powder. The reason this whole thing came up is honestly because when i was at niseko in february, the one thing it felt just a little bit sluggish with was deeper and steeper powder. You really have to throw yourself into a turn sometimes to stop it from just washing out under you. It also had a bit of a tendency to nose dive. DOnt get me wrong, i <3 the deck, but my previous deck (and the one i learned on) was an artec 2.3 which is pretty angry as boards go That thing will beat the crap out of you if you screw up in the slightest. I love the scope, will still be riding it next season the most, but on days when i want a bit more of a fight, i want something a bit more aggressive to tear into the mountain. It seems the closest compromise might be really a jump/freeride like the seeker or the quiver killer/FCG im thinking with a bit of setback when it dumps. Am i on the right lines?

ETA: oh, and i dont want anything that overlaps too much with the scope, so mid flex all mountain decks are probably out. And hows the Jam. I always wanted a bataleon and was looking at the jam earlier on this season. How is it in powder?

Last edited by ippy; 03-11-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: additional stuff
ippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Sierra are shipping Burton stuff internationally now?! WOOHOO! The days of Australian price gouges are officially over!

I am happy with my Custom/Malolo quiver right now but jeez im tempted to buy a Custom X at that price...... Or maybe even a T6....

Back to the topic of discussion, for your purposes a Supermodel X might be worth looking at, it will be better in powder than the Custom X but has less symmetry so isnt quite as good for the pipe aspect, all depends on what you place the most value in. For hitting natural walls and gullies like you describe the supermodel will be completely fine, but if you actually want to ride a proper halfpipe then the Custom X is better.

I was also in Niseko in feb and after going last year with my custom and sinking like a rock, I came back this year with a new Malolo for the powder days (ie: every day) and let me tell you that board is the best money I have ever spent. I expected it to help a little bit, but the difference it made exceeded my expectations massively.

Last edited by Reede; 03-11-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote