Slushy snow at speed - board shudders? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Slushy snow at speed - board shudders?

I've had 3 trips to the mountain on a new NS Evo (1 powder, 1 packed powder, 1 slush). The first 2 times the board performed amazingly. It stayed on top of the powder and carved it effortlessly. In the packed powder, I could bomb at high speeds and carve without a problem.

But last night it was 55F outside and the snow was very slushy. When carving in it, the board would shudder - almost uncontrollably. A few times, I had to sit it down to regain control.

Is this because it's too soft of a board for those conditions?
Veccster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

probably more a sticky base, then the board. Fresh warm wax job and a little cross hatch texture on a slushy day does a lot. slushy snow demands a different technique to ride, you somewhat exaggerate your movements to compensate for the slow-motion snow, power through turns and keep the nose above the crud no lazyboardin. Other then pow its the most fun snow once your comfortable.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think you just need to get used to it. Board is stable. Slushy days here as well.
Here is one pic my wife took of me last weekend (temps in the hight 50s). Carves like a mofo in any conditions

eta: for some reason I couldn't link to that picture.
Let's try again

Last edited by wasaskier; 03-11-2010 at 08:31 PM.
wasaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walove View Post
probably more a sticky base, then the board. Fresh warm wax job and a little cross hatch texture on a slushy day does a lot. slushy snow demands a different technique to ride, you somewhat exaggerate your movements to compensate for the slow-motion snow, power through turns and keep the nose above the crud no lazyboardin. Other then pow its the most fun snow once your comfortable.
Maybe I do just need to practice a bit more. I think I'm pretty good but I guess that's relative. Been at it for 15 years but only get out about 10x / yr.

It really only happens when I'm moving fast and get on an edge to slow down (like a carve/slide). Maybe I hold that for a bit too long . It feels like I'm going edge to edge quickly but there is some sideways sliding that occurs on each one (to control my speed).

The carves in the picture below are more of an 'S' carve to me. Those are fine in slush conditions on moderate hills. I get in trouble when I'm going fast on steeper slopes.

Think its my technique?
Veccster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

What you're describing here is not really carving. I'm not saying that you're doing this, but I've seen people on the slopes kicking in with their back foot and in consequence are "oversteering" the board causing sliding - but they call it carving, which techincally is wrong.

I still believe it may be you doing something wrong. I don't know how long you'v ebeen riding on Evo but maybe you just need more time on it if it's new (R.C technology is a little different then regular camber).
I can do very quick edge to edge high speed turns (small radius) on sleeper slopes and don't experience the sliding you're describing. If this board holds the S curve like in the picture above, it can easily hold shorter radius turns.
In fact the only time I've had to be more careful was on choppy hardpack/ice at high speed, but it was still managable.

I know speed is very relative and what for me is fairly high speed for you may be just crawling pace and hence you're experiencing issues.
Afterall this is a freestyle deck so the high speed stability is somewhat compromised, but for what it is I think it handles beautifully - better then I expected. I have no problems using this as an all mountain deck
wasaskier is offline   Reply With Quote