Mondopoint 28,5: need wide board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mondopoint 28,5: need wide board?

I have northwave decade SL boots, 28.5 in size.
Flipping a coin to make the choice between Nitro Team 159 (waist width 252) and the K2 Podium 159 (ww 249).
On nitro board selector website, when I select my boot size it gives me only wide boards!!!
what do you think? is that correct? should I go wide? everyone so far told me that 28.5 was still "recular" dimension
thanks in advance
lorcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Im pretty sure euro 28.5 is 10.5 u.s. sizing and if thats the case youll be fine with a normal board. Years ago a wide boards had a waist of 25.5 or bigger but it seems boards have just naturally widened over the last decade or so and that size is closer to standard now. Its pretty easy to find a board to fit most common shoe sizes until you start getting into the 12-12.5 and greater in u.s. sizing
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My boots are 10.5US/28.5mondo Ride Anthems and I have a normal board with a 25.1 wiast width. As long as you aren't riding 0/0 with a real narrow stance you should be fine with a normal board.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

what with the PODIUM which is less than 25 (even though by few mm)? it's like the Custom
Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

The podium is a good choice, you would have a quality board that will last a long time with proper use. You will really like riding and progressing on it. Keep in mind if it ends up being too narrow for your boots, you can buy the Podium in WIDE sizes. I wear a boot close to that size and had toe and heel drag in hard carves on my Burner, which is supposed to be mid-wide like yours.

You can always get risers, too. You will be surprised at the amount of extra power you will have at your edges with them. Plus you will have the added benefit of more clearance for those mach3 carves.

--buba

Last edited by Bubalouie; 03-12-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Bubalouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks really a lot. This is the first time I might consider dragging.
SO now I am in trouble. Which is your boot size? how wide the Burner?
Returning stuff is not always easy, especially when you buy from the web, so i'd rather make the right choice at the beginning....
Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

but explain me something: if the foot is 28.5, with boot it's going to be bigger. The board waist is 25. So this is-at zero angle- 3.5 cm overhang in total without considering boots yet. Even if I angle a bit more...which is the maximum foot size compatible with a midwide board?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Salomon Burner is 25.4cm. I wear Salomon F22 in US 11-11.5. I think this is a Mondo 29. The size on my boots is not too effective of a tool for comparison, as they are designed as a compact boot without a liner and smaller exterior dimensions to allow me to ride a narrower board. I would say the outer dimensions of my boot would be closer to a 10, maybe 10.5 at the most.

Please keep in mind, though that I really carve hard and only had my heel drag a few times. That was enough (butt bruise included) to convince me of the risers. I have risers because it was cheaper than getting a new board, but do not regret the purchase at all.

The risers serve more than one purpose, especially for someone whose style is like mine. They not only lift me off of my board and provide a bit more clearance, but they give me an incredible increase in power delivered to my edges.

Sorry for the long post (again). It comes down to personal preference. The board manufacturers have done an exceptional job with their wide boards, allowing them to handle almost identically to their narrower counterparts when paired with the correct sized rider. If you are set on getting the narrower board, just keep in mind the added cost of getting risers or a different (more compact) boot when your riding progresses starts being affected by any drag. Since you could be considered on the edge in boot size, depending on manufacturer of board and boot, you should have no problems going to a wider board.

Body weight should also help you decide a bit easier. If you weigh more, then it would be easier to ride a wide board. If you are a lightweight, then I would say go with the narrower selection.

--buba
Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
but explain me something: if the foot is 28.5, with boot it's going to be bigger. The board waist is 25. So this is-at zero angle- 3.5 cm overhang in total without considering boots yet. Even if I angle a bit more...which is the maximum foot size compatible with a midwide board?
It really is dependent on the board width at the binding point, boot length, and the angle of the lower ramp for the heel and toe on the bottom of the boot, which help provide clearance.

Remember that the board width is measured at the narrowest point, not the point at which the bindings mount and boots hang over. Depending on the sidecut profile of the board, you could gain another 3-5 cm in width or more at those spots.

--buba
Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks
yes, i am light, 70 kg - 150 lb