Park board for a heavier guy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Red face Park board for a heavier guy?

I'm stocky at 5'8 and 230 lbs. I currently have a 02 Custom @ 158 and NS Premier @ 161. Looking to try to get into the park with some butters and simple rails and boxes with jumps here and there. I expect to be around 200 by next season and was looking for a board. Any recommendations for something my size? I was thinking maybe a softer all mountain board in case I don't enjoy all the falling at my size and age (37). Maybe something along the lines like my Custom. Or should I just get a dedicated park board for buttering and just having fun since I already have my Premier for my all mountain charging?

I started riding in the mid 90s and only got maybe 10 runs this last season and only like 6 in the previous 6 seasons. Before that had a season pass for two years and my local mountain. I'd like to get back into it and hopefully find a share in a house this coming season. Or is it too late to try jumps and jibs @ my age? I never really ventured into the park then and did mostly all mountain and doing the natural hits on the way down.

Any feedback would be great.
Magnum626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm 31 and 270. I ride a 158 Evo in the park and have a blast on it. I have some massive spills here and there, I don't heal like I used to, but whatever.

go for it man. No reason to tip-toe though life just to arrive safely at death's door.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
BoardNbob

Hey man,

I'm only 21 so I can't speak from experience, but I say go for it. There is alot of fun to be had in the park and you would be selling yourself short to not give it a try. It's alot easier than it looks to get into, and you will be hooked and want to try bigger and better stuff in no time.

I started hitting jumps this season and I was worried about me knees because I am currently riding with a torn ACL. However, I've had no problems and I've even suffered some pretty bad looking falls, but it honestly didn't even hurt.

As for the board. I'm about 205, 5'11 and I currently ride a Ride DH 157. Its still in great condition so I'll probably continue riding it for awhile, but I eventually want to switch to a NS Evo-R 155.

The board is gonna depend on what you want to do, you don't want a super flexy board if you going to be hitting mainly jumps, but if your gonna be jibbing and doing butters, than its an absolute must.

I say get whatever size you think you'll be comfortable on, a smaller board will let you spin easier, but you will loose some stability at high speeds.

A 155 is technically too small for my weight, but I've ridden one before with no problems. Generally downsizing is acceptable for park riding.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

So any suggestions for a board my size and weight?
Magnum626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
BoardNbob

Well, if u plan on being 200 then your pretty much going to be around my weight. Weight is more important than height in my opinion. If I were you I would get either a 157 or a 155. Like I said I've been very comfortable on my 157 so far but I feel that its still a little too stiff. So my next board is gonna be a little smaller and a little more flexy. I'm no expert on board sizing tho, so I can only speak from my own personal experience.

I would probably get it as a dedicated park board since u already have that beautiful premier. If u buy one that's kinda middle of the road it will be good all over the mountain but not excell in any one place. From what I read you plan on using this board to ride the park, so you might as well get a setup that's built for the park

Sorry if there's any gramatical errors in here, I'm posting from my motorola droid because I'm at work and don't want to spend the time editing this
Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum626 View Post
I'm stocky at 5'8 and 230 lbs. I currently have a 02 Custom @ 158 and NS Premier @ 161. Looking to try to get into the park with some butters and simple rails and boxes with jumps here and there. I expect to be around 200 by next season and was looking for a board. Any recommendations for something my size? I was thinking maybe a softer all mountain board in case I don't enjoy all the falling at my size and age (37). Maybe something along the lines like my Custom. Or should I just get a dedicated park board for buttering and just having fun since I already have my Premier for my all mountain charging?

I started riding in the mid 90s and only got maybe 10 runs this last season and only like 6 in the previous 6 seasons. Before that had a season pass for two years and my local mountain. I'd like to get back into it and hopefully find a share in a house this coming season. Or is it too late to try jumps and jibs @ my age? I never really ventured into the park then and did mostly all mountain and doing the natural hits on the way down.

Any feedback would be great.
Too old - leave it out. I am 40 in a few months am 5'11 & weigh 190. Trick is to strengthen your core and do a lot of stretches. Sure I don't heal as quickly as I used to, but stay in reasonable shape and that will prevent you damaging your body so easily. I have started using park features because I take a friends lad with me to Snowplanet (indoor) which is 20 mins drive from home, the mountain is 4 hours away. So I say go for it! I love it.
crispynz1 is offline   Reply With Quote