Looking to buy first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking to buy first board

Hello, im looking to buy my first snowboard. I've boarded about 5 times now and want to get my own equipment. I've looking for a good, relatively cheap all around board, and I've been eyeing the 2010 Sierra Crew. I weigh about 170-175 and wear 10.5 boots. Here are the specs between 2 possible sizes that would work for me from their site. With the one, I am close to the upper range on the weights listed. On the other, it is a wide board, and I'm not sure if width will take away performance in relation to my boot size. What would you recommend? How important is to be close to the middle of the weight range? Is this a max range, if I put on weight to be like 185-190, how would that impact it? On the other side, I've seen some places recommending 10.5 for wide width and others saying more like 12. How much does the width differences actually make a difference in this case? Also, can't say I'm 100% sold on this particular board if you have any other recommendations.

Spec 1
158cm
WEIGHT RANGE : 130-180 lbs. / 59-81 kg.
WAIST WIDTH : 249mm

Spec 2
160cm Wide
WEIGHT RANGE : 150-200 lbs. / 68-91 kg.
WAIST WIDTH : 259mm
craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Basically, either board should be good in terms of weight. The wider/longer board will be a bit more stable at speeds at the expense of turning ability.

Is the 10.5 with or without *sigh* shrinkage?

If you want an all mountain board, the sierra crew should be a good and cheap choice for a first board (and it should last a while too).
If you want more of a park board, then maybe not so much...
Can you give us % estimates of park vs runs?
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd say that 10 would be too small. I would go up to 11 if I couldn't do a 10.5.

I have not really done much of any park yet. I'd like to dabble in it. So, I'd say probably more like 70/80% runs vs park. I'd prefer speed and going down the mountain vs messing around in the park. I'd really like to try out the park more though with whatever board I get.
craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're going specwise, the larger the nose relative to the waste, the more tight turning it can do. If it's not too big a difference, the board is ususally easier to learn on I believe.

If you want to go into real detail...the longer the part where the edge comes off the flat ground before reverse-curving into the nose, the smoother the turn transition and more forgiving the board is. If this part is shorter, then it will be more "catchy" and can turn much faster at the expense of making you catch an edge easier.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
palmeirense1099

I am also looking to get my first board. I've been a couple days each year for the past 5 years. I talked to someone who said the Sierra Crew would be too much board for a semi-beginner, might be too frustrating.

Any thoughts on Flow Merc vs Head Matrix? Those are two I've been looking at. I also like the looks of the Forum Nugget.

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmeirense1099 View Post
I am also looking to get my first board. I've been a couple days each year for the past 5 years. I talked to someone who said the Sierra Crew would be too much board for a semi-beginner, might be too frustrating.

Any thoughts on Flow Merc vs Head Matrix? Those are two I've been looking at. I also like the looks of the Forum Nugget.

Thanks.
I haven't ridden the Sierra Crew, but you spend so little time in the beginner phase (and you'll be falling no matter what board you get) that you'll be upset with a true "beginner" board. Not familiar with either of those boards, but if you think that the Sierra Crew would be for you than I'd go for it.

(Reread, if you've been doing this for five years, there's almost no way that the Crew will be too much for you)
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote