Looking for a good freestyle board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a good freestyle board

Hi, I am looking to buy a new board. I currently own an Illuminati pentagon series. It is an all mountain board and I am tired of it. I am looking for a board that will carve well, but can still hit jumps and such. I am not a fan of terrain parks cuz the one near me is so crowded and i just prefer riding on trails. I like side trails and hitting natural jumps. I recently demoed a stepchild jib stick. I really liked it. I only rode it for a few hours though, but it landed jumps so much cleaner than my board and seemed to carve well(the snow was slow that day so I couldnt test it super well). Anyway, is the jib stick a good board for what I want? Or is the reverse camber going to mess up my carving(i dont want r.e.t.t.). Is a bataleon with tbt better. I am lost, If anyone can help id appreciate it.

Last edited by luke89; 03-11-2010 at 09:34 PM.
luke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke89 View Post
Hi, I am looking to buy a new board. I currently own an Illuminati pentagon series. It is an all mountain board and I am tired of it. I am looking for a board that will carve well, but can still hit jumps and such. I am not a fan of terrain parks cuz the one near me is so crowded and i just prefer riding on trails. I like side trails and hitting natural jumps. I recently demoed a stepchild jib stick. I really liked it. I only rode it for a few hours though, but it landed jumps so much cleaner than my board and seemed to carve well(the snow was slow that day so I couldnt test it super well). Anyway, is the jib stick a good board for what I want? Or is the reverse camber going to mess up my carving(i dont want r.e.t.t.). Is a bataleon with tbt better. I am lost, If anyone can help id appreciate it.
If you get a soft jib stick it will always sacrifice high speed/carving performance. Reverse camber does too. Magnetraction boards help offset this drawback to some extent. Some companies combine RC and C (mostly it looks like dual camber) to try to strike a balance.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-11-2010 at 09:42 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

So does this mean that a jib stick is a bad choice? Ive heard some people say their only for parks, but have also heard they can carve and do parks. I mean I dont expect it to carve like an all mountain board. Im looking for an in between all park and all mountain. Something that can carve but can handle different jumps and some rails. I guess I'm more comfortable with a jib stick because ive tried it. But if its like a horrible choice for my purposes Ill keep looking. Do you think that a bataleon with tbt is a better choice?

Last edited by luke89; 03-11-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
weipim

you should check out the sierrascope FK, I owned one and it is really amazing even at high speed.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

can't go wrong with skate banana, awesome in the park, awesome carving through ice, awesome on the powder.
thirdmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

So with the stepchild I can still carve fairly well and still be able to land some decent stuff.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmotion View Post
can't go wrong with skate banana, awesome in the park, awesome carving through ice, awesome on the powder.
This sounds like something you might like. It's forgiving enough, has magnetraction, but is stiff enough for riding decent speeds. And you can press, etc. easier. This is a true twin though, so if you're only going in one direction, this is not that good. The TRS is "like" this from the same company but is directional and a bit stiffer.

I personally don't recommend "jib" boards to riders who avoid the park, but if that's what you like to shred everywhere with, then more power to you. People who "carve" on their jib boards might say it can carve, but they won't know what that really means until they try to chase someone of equal skill on a free-ride board.

If you're into BIG jumps, then stiff boards that have camber (or at least C2) are normally better. Some are also "park boards" but in a different light. In addition, some feel camber helps stop rotations.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-11-2010 at 11:50 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
This sounds like something you might like. It's forgiving enough, has magnetraction, but is stiff enough for riding decent speeds. And you can press, etc. easier. This is a true twin though, so if you're only going in one direction, this is not that good. The TRS is "like" this from the same company but is directional and a bit stiffer.

I personally don't recommend "jib" boards to riders who avoid the park, but if that's what you like to shred everywhere with, then more power to you. People who "carve" on their jib boards might say it can carve, but they won't know what that really means until they try to chase someone of equal skill on a free-ride board.

If you're into BIG jumps, then stiff boards that have camber (or at least C2) are normally better. Some are also "park boards" but in a different light. In addition, some feel camber helps stop rotations.
I saw that it was a twin and liked that because it makes it easier to ride switch. What I really liked about the reverse camber was that it made landing so clean. It didnt catch an edge immeadiately like my current board but still felt like it carved better than my board(which is all mountain). Maybe because my boards like five or so years old idk. But I do kinda avoid the park, its not my scene. I do know that I dont want another all mountain board. I want an all around board. It sounds like the jib stick kinda fits this description. I like stepchild a lot, so is this the best board from them for this purpose? Is an everything sucks better or maybe a chi borg. I dont care for the graphics on a chi borg though, so id like to avoid it. I also saw bataleons Goliath is supposed to be pretty all around, but im not familiar with them and it would be hard to get. Basically bottom line is will I be disappointed with the jib stick for some carving and hitting side trails with jumps and the occasional rail or table top(park stuff not so much just when the crowds arent bad) also thanks for all the feed back you guys are awesome

Last edited by luke89; 03-12-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh and I forgot to mention that I am not going off super huge jumps. No big terrain park stuff.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
dizzy

I own a K2 Darkstar, i ride same tarrain like you and im very pleased with my K2..maybe you should try it