Does rocker-camber combo slow you down? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Does rocker-camber combo slow you down?

I know the board will flex a lot during carving but it seems that the squiggly profile of the rocker-camber combo boards will make a somewhat squiggly carve footprint right underneath the edge. Does this slow you down vs. a pure camber or pure rocker board…where it would have a “smoother” footprint?
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 02:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Power Bottom

for fast speeds i would opt for traditional camber
PaulyMolitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Which kind of rocker camber are you talking about? some will some won't depending on the edge.

Basically traditional camber is the slowest the way its designed the contact points dig into the snow and cause drag. Anything that elevates the contact points is going to reduce drag.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know on my C2 BTX T.Rice that the shape of the carve is nice and straight (well curved but you get the idea). Seems plenty fast to me.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

if I dont fail Angrysnowboarder wrote some bad review about the Rossignol Amptek, saying it is the worst possible idea, while at first I thought it was very smart.
Other brands have also their own camrock though.
lorcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

The only difference I've noticed is that you can't really pump out speed during turns with a rockered board. I feel faster when my board is flat on my d.i.r.t. rocker...but that could be beacuse I'm not worried about catching an edge at all anymore.
sepdxsnwbrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
if I dont fail Angrysnowboarder wrote some bad review about the Rossignol Amptek, saying it is the worst possible idea, while at first I thought it was very smart.
Other brands have also their own camrock though.
I personally think this type of camber-rocker combo is the best option for freeriding. Regular camber between the bindings and rocker from the bindings out just makes sense. It improves the carving by having the nose and tail work with the sidecut on deep carves. This means the nose is less likely to "dig in" or "fold" when initiating the carve and the board enters the turn more gently. The rockered nose also absorbs rutts and other things in the snow. But, you still get the snap and edge hold of a regular camber board. Also, for tight turns the board is really maneuverably as for low edge angle skidded turns the only part of the board on the snow is between your feet(not as loose as a full rocker but I personally thing those are waay too loose). In bumps and crud the board floats over them easier. I feel it really gives you the benefit of the camber and the benefit of rocker with out as many of the negatives of each.
Also, if you want some proof that this camber rocker style works...look at the olympics...anyone racing boardercross or PGS was on a board with this type of camber. Also, Palmer has it on all of their high end boards(rode a Palmer Timeless and loved it, Rome has it on the Anthem SS(which I am currently on), and I believe Jeremy Jones has it on his freeride boards from his new snowboard company.
jlm1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am a firm believer in the rocker-camber style of board. Especially with powder. And now for all mountain, including groomers. More freedom.

I just got back from Jackson Hole, where I had advanced lessons with instructor. He made comment that from now on, he will only ride boards with rocker-camber. He favors Lib-tech boards.

I realize that this is not final word on this subject, but those are my thoughts on this debate.

RB

NeverSummer Premier F1-R 163
Burton P1 bindings
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote