P-tex questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
jfreaks198

Question P-tex questions

So I was wondering if I really need to get a base repair iron or if using my old wood burner would work just as well. I rather not spend another $40 on something i don't really need. I was looking at tognar.com's base repair iron and it looks like the only difference is the base repair iron is slightly safer because it heat up to 600F instead of 1,000F. The p-tex candles say they get around 970F so I wouldn't thing the extra heat would screw anything up. The other thing I was wondering is if after using a p-tex candle for a quick fix would I be able to go over it later with the iron and p-tex ribbon to give it a better fix without digging the old p-tex out and possibly making it worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is a short answer and a long answer, I will give you both. The 1000 deg is too high to put against your board. There is too much chance of damage to it. While the candles to get to almost that temp, they cool off almost instantly, not being held against the surface like an iron would.

Now for the long answer: You could use the woodworking iron if you used extreme caution, keeping in mind that you could easily overheat the ptex and base. The repair irons are more geared toward using base repair ribbon than they are ptex candles because of the melting points of both. I would recommend highly against putting repair ribbon over a ptex repair. The two don't usually play nice together. If your scrape is not severe, as in all the way down to the core, then you should be fine just riding until you have ribbon. If you do this, just make sure you clean out the cut very well with something other than a base cleaner. They are usually oily and make it harder for the repair to stick well. I usually just use my hot iron to scrape the gouge smooth on the inside and to clean it out. I have discontinued using any ptex at all and use strictly ribbon and metal grip when needed. They seem to hold up significantly better than ptex.

If you end up needing to do a repair with the ptex, just do the best job you can and leave it there until it starts to fall out or separate.

--buba
Bubalouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
jfreaks198

Thanks! Good to know.