Board Sizing Advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Govenno31

Default Board Sizing Advice

So I am relatively new to snowboarding, but picked it up fast and love it. I need help determining what type of board I really need though. Right now I have a Rossi 121 Mini and a Sims 160 Wide. I am 6'1", 160, and wear a boot size 10.5. When I ride the 121, I can carve and do great on the mountain. When I ride the 160, it is more stable, but I have alot harder time carving and controlling my transitions to my toe edge. I almost feels sometimes like the board is running away before I can get the pressure down on it that I want. So, looking at sizing calculators and reading these forums, I've gathered that I should be riding a 160-165, but considering how much better I do on the 121, I think I need something smaller. Is a 155W too small? Any help? Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

you should be fine on a 155.

I'm at your weight and I ride a 156.
TB020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For reference, I'm 180 and ride a 158 on groomers and a 165 in powder. I'd say a 155 would be fine, but I'd question a wide board. It might make your transitions harder if you don't need it. I also have 10.5 boots and I don't need a wide.
Rome Anthem 158
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
VAhasnoWAVES

how did you calculate that you needed a 160-165?

o.O

i would suggest 155-158. my boot size is a 12 and i ride a 159. not a wide either. and ive got quite a few pounds on you.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Govenno31

Thanks for the quick responses. I had just used the weight/height calculators on various place on the ol internet. I had read a couple places that if you had a 10.5 boot or over you should ride a wide board. Seeing as how everything on the internet is fact.....ok, well maybe not but it's more than I know about snowboards. I had tried a 157, but even with my angles at 15 and my boots/bindings centered, I was still getting heel drag. That sort of helped me to believe that I needed a wide board....
Old 03-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
VAhasnoWAVES

you need to look at the waist width. or more specifically, the width of the board between the binding inserts. some are wider than others depending on their intended use.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

A 155 - 156 is good for all mountian for you. You can go longer for freeriding and smaller for freestyle or rails or whatever. The waist of the board is what determines if it's width enough. Yu have 10.5 so I would suggest around 253ish. Look into mid wide boards. If you have Burton boots with the shrinkage reductio technologhy then the boot feels like a 10.5 but outside the sole is the size of 9.5. If you have the shrinkage tech then you can go for a normal width size board.
tomek142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bazi

I'm having trouble figuring out what size board to get myself and desperately seeking help. I'm 1.7m size 9 boot what board length should I get?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazi View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out what size board to get myself and desperately seeking help. I'm 1.7m size 9 boot what board length should I get?
Your weight is more important than your height in determining approximate board length.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
RaoulDuke530

I'm 6'2" and about 200lbs. Any suggestions on a good length for all mtn riding? 159? 162?