help! Looking for first all-mtn board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default help! Looking for first all-mtn board

hey all, I just got back from a slushy day at sugar mtn NC with a rental board that had 3 HUGE gashes straight down the middle, and I had a fantastic time. I was able to hit a few boxes, and link turns surprisingly well for how long its been since i last boarded(3 years ago) and I felt like I was better now then before.

Im 19, so probably not going to grow anymore, weight is 168, 5'11'' tall, boot size is 11.5(I got a pair of vans mantra's about 3 years ago when i was riding out west, they felt really good so id like to keep those boots instead of buying a brand new pair). I'm on a budget of about $500 max for a board alone, i still need bindings too.

Im looking for a board that is great for going down groomers, a few black diamond runs, and has a decent amount of flex so i can practice jumping off random things on the mountain. I enjoy riding down a mountain much more than hitting the park, but i still want a board that will be able to handle rails, boxes, and a few smaller park jumps here and there.

I was checking out the k2 anagram, arbor element, and ride control. I'm not deadset on getting one of those, just thought they might fit my needs. And I know theres litterally hundreds of boards that would be just right for me, but id love to here some input from you guys.

basically, im looking for an all-mountain board and a pair of bindings so i can really dial in my technique next season. Oh and will I need a wide board for 11.5 boot size?

all help is greatly appreciated!!
avidboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good news is that right now you can pretty much get any board you want short of a Burton Vapor or Method for under $500 if you shop around a bit...
WaterPog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

K2 Podium comes in wide sizes and would work well for what you describe as your riding style. It has regular camber which will provide strong carving, and the thing is just plain fast. The Flux Titan bindings would pair well with it. They have a super comfy ankle strap and some of the best fitting, no slipping toe caps out there.

--buba
Bubalouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd go with the Arbor Element or A-Frame. Both are excellent choices. I was going to get the Element myself, but decided I wanted reverse camber.
karmatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

You should check out Illuminati. They have good all mountain boards. I have one. It used to be really good. But its like five years old so now not so much haha (I learned on it so it got really beat up). They have some sweet videos on their site too. They are all hand made in Jackson Hole. Definitely can get one for under 500.
luke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
no u

Check out the Rome Graft
Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

i was just checkin out the burton custom v-rocker. it looks pretty dam nice to be honest. but do i have to get a certain kind of bindings for it?
avidboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

it'll be best with burton EST bindings but most will work with adapters.

There is also the Sierra reverse crew wich is basically the same board but with a standard 4x4 mounting pattern and about $50 cheaper.

Last edited by WaterPog; 03-14-2010 at 08:53 PM.
WaterPog is offline   Reply With Quote