Beginner bought a GNU Rider's Choice, bad decision? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner bought a GNU Rider's Choice, bad decision?

Help me out, i'm a nube but want to advance quickly, been surfing and skateboard my whole life. I'm 5'11" and 180 lbs and bought the 157.5 GNU Riders Choice as I wanted something I could grow into to as I get better. Then I read that this board is not for beginners. Will this board be good for getting my green/blue run carves down and some small tricks. I rode a carbon credit and that seemed good but it was a bit shorter.
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

yes its fine. personally i find all the "beginner/advanced" stuff to be bullshit.
mrpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chainsaw

Great Board.. Great Choice..

That board will be perfect for you. No worries.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpez View Post
yes its fine. personally i find all the "beginner/advanced" stuff to be bullshit.
Very true. I bought a intermediate board to start off. After having 1 season under my belt i will be buying an "advanced" less stiff board. I will be happy with 2 boards. However, i think it is nice that i have been able to progress and will actually know the difference between boards and their feel, rather than going by what i read online.
bassholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thats a good first board. Gnu is a great company and that board is fairly versatile. You can still carve and what not but will be able to do tricks on it as well. I think you will like it. That advanced board stuff is horse shit. Dont sweat it you got a good board.
luke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Since snowboarding is somewhat similar to surfing...and you also skateboard (helps sideways motion balance a bit), I think you will be fine.

Some people learn faster and can handle a more advanced board (stiffer / narrow / quick edge engaging) board. Some people wont. It depends on the person. If a board makes you fall a lot, this is not always good for everyone because it will get you drained and even end your day / weekend early...not to mention increase your chance of demoing a ski-patrol sled next.

People who are young or new to boarding might tell you that it doesn't matter, but it does. Because even advanced rides who can blow circles arround them will get a "quiver addition" that is much more forgiving to learn tricks.

And there's a difference between a 12 year old and a 42 year old as well. Fact of life. You are atheletic so that helps. Most of the people I have boarded with fall in the office lemming category and many have not lasted a whole day morning to end. Some can't make to the next day. The more you get beaten up by the floor, the shorter your time you have. Even if you are the Snowboardinator.

BTW, banana boards are more forgiving so you can go a little stiffer with these models because they catch less.

Last edited by rasmasyean; 03-15-2010 at 07:35 PM.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I learned on an artec 2.3 which is pretty much a door (if a beautiful and svelte door). I spent my time blasting down runs and learning to carve while everyone else was buttering and messing around having an awesome time. I fell on every box i tried, and have an over-riding fear of park thats difficult to shake even now. But i tell you what, that board made me deal with speed early on, and because it was so spectacularly unforgiving it made me really tighten up my riding. I think its just a bit of a trade off with a slightly stiffer board, you dont get to butter so much, and you might find park a bit more of an ordeal than someone on a softer deck, but you will learn to handle some proper speed with confidence, which means when it comes time to hit some proper size kickers or head into the pipe, or even venture off the resort and into the wilds, youll have a slightly different skill set which will give you the confidence to wreck those things. Also, when you do buy a nice soft board youll realise they were cheating all along Oh, and once you learn to pop off a stiff board, youll fly

Ill be honest though, if i bought the riders choice as my first deck, id be stoked. Its a keeper for sure. youll definitely grow into it. Also the BTX will mean you aint washing because of the banana, and the banana itself will make your ride super forgiving. I really cant think of a single reason why it wouldnt be fun to learn on? Maybe the speed? But youll learn to ride as fast as your comfortable with anyway, so again, cant think of a reason that you wouldnt love this board. The best think is, youll probably be riding it in a couple of years EVEN IF you buy a horrorscope or something to play on. The more you build your skill, the more advanced the terrain youll be riding, and the more the board will become utterly irreplaceable for you. Im honestly jealous
ippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

That's a great board!

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, when you get good and move onto another board (if you do) then you might consider it to be a waste. I LOVE GNU RIDERS CHOICES =)

It was my first "advanced" board too, and I couldnt even go off jumps yet at the time (this was like 4 seasons ago too. I still think that mine has the coolest graphic)

Except mine was cooler where the base text "gnu" was black and the rest of the base was an epic green

2011 edit thingy. Peep it, there are backflips. http://vimeo.com/28588117
xxfinnellxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfinnellxx View Post
Well, when you get good and move onto another board (if you do) then you might consider it to be a waste. I LOVE GNU RIDERS CHOICES =)

It was my first "advanced" board too, and I couldnt even go off jumps yet at the time (this was like 4 seasons ago too. I still think that mine has the coolest graphic)

Except mine was cooler where the base text "gnu" was black and the rest of the base was an epic green
That's the year I had, still ride it, but it is a rock board now. Mine was black with gray lettering on the base. I have about 120 days on it...

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote