Beginner with 800$ for gear.. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
headinahole

Default Beginner with 800$ for gear..

Basically what the title says, I've never been actually snowboarding. Closest I have come to it is taking the trucks off my skateboard and going down an icy hill. I've been reading the forums for a couple days about gear and what not do to. I'm 6'3 so I know I need at least a 160 length and I wear a size 13 shoe so I figured a "wide" board would be in order? I'm almost positive I won't be hitting any fun boxes or rails my first trip out so I just need something to make it down the mountain.

I need jacket/coat, gloves, board/binding/boots... what would be my best bet for 800$? I have until next Thursday then we are taking off to steamboat .

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
NJ SHREDDER 28

Buy all of your clothing needs and then.. RENT!!! Like you said, you've never snowboarded, so you dont know if your going to like powder, groomers, 30' kicker ramps, tree skiing or what. Hell, you dont even know how devoted you're going to be to the sport. My friendly advice is to rent for at least your first year, because they will set you up with correct-sized equiptment, and over the course of the season you can find out how often your going to be going snowboarding again (and thus how much you want to spend on it) and what type of board/boots/bindings you need
Old 12-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
headinahole

Thanks for the advice man, the problem is I am going to be there for 6 days so your looking at 120$ in board rentals that could go to a board. I've skateboarded for 10 years and rode mx for 16 this is just a next addiction. Especially since they are building a mountain 1 hour from my house, which is a whole nother story since I live in Tx . Even if I rent the board I bought boots b/c well... other people feet are exactly that. I picked up a pair of soloman symbio's for 70$ just a second ago at a local ski shop. I'm at the-house.com looking at the closeout sales. Is there any gear that I should stay away from?

Mike
Old 12-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mazimo

I have size 13 feet as well and the biggest issue i ran into with renting is there not being any wide boards available which creates awful toe drag. Other than that, the boots & bindings rental stuff was fine. You may want to lease a wide board from a local shop since from what i have seen you will be able to get a better selection.

When you do end up buying your board, rest assured that the snowboarding companies now understand all boarders arent 5'6" 155 lbs with size 8 shoes so you do have some options at that point.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
headinahole

Damn, that's a great point man. I didn't even think of them not having any wide boards...The boots I bought are size 11.5. I'm trying to save on gear b/c I have that feeling I'm going to have to shell out some clams for a board setup.

Mike
Old 12-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
megladan

you'd be surprised.... i just got my burton custom for $230 bucks
Old 12-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
headinahole

Right now I have a soloman tempest 162(298) and force bindings(98) with some random gear for a total of 508$ Is that a good board.. I could get alot better deal if I didn't need a wide board.

Mike
Old 12-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
headinahole

Well I just picked up a 5150 stroke board with the ff2000 bindings for 300$ to the door. So I'm looking at 370$ for my total board setup. Seems like a good deal to me .

Mike
Old 12-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
headinahole

Well I'm done shopping... Picked up the foursquare stevo jacket, some sessions achilles pants, the 5150 stroke board with bindings and some soloman boots. I am officially what we mx guys call a power ranger, the dude you see that has 9000$ worth of bike and gear, crashes once and puts it back into the trailer .

Mike
Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
aaabbb

i am 5'11 high have size 11 shoes and my new used board(LAUGH) is 24 cm, heres a pic of the board *****SnowBoard (Liquid Vortex)***** is it wide enough? and if anyone could tell me any info on the board it would help too. Also i ride goofy and i don't know how to set the bindings(which direction blah blah) thanks guys