Snowboard for my wife - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard for my wife

Hi guys,

My wife has spent about 8 days on the slopes - 4 of those on a rental and the last 4 on her own gear. I got her a Burton feelgood 149 which has proven to be a mistake as it's too stiff for her. At the end of the first 4 days she seemed to be linking skidded turns, but she didn't seem to progress at all when on the feelgood. She was well within the weight range when we got it, and it was meant to have the same feel rating as a Tadashi fuse (which I own) but felt much stiffer when I rode it.

So seeing as there are some good deals around, I was thinking of getting her something much more beginnerish that will last her into her intermediate stage as we would most likely try to get rid of the feelgood.

My thoughts were to try and get something for up to 200 at sierra.

She is 120lb so I am thinking 144 is probably the size to aim for taking into he account her skill level and weight.

I have read previous threads of similar questions being asked, however, pretty much the only board that is mentioned in them found in my list below is the Burton Troop.

Boards that I think best meet the criteria are:

Burton Troop 141,146
Nitro Mistique 146

Other boards that are in the price range but I am not so keen on:
Flow BFF 143, 145
Flow Elation 143, 147
Nitro Runaway 146
Forum Star 142, 146
Flow Jewel 143, 146
Nitro Runaway Gulwing 146
Forum Spinster 144, 146
Sierra V Spot 142 (how a board with an extruded base is meant to retail for $500 is a mystery to me...)
Burton The Social 142

Of the 2 boards I think would be best I am leaning towards the Troop but am not quite sure which size to go for, I just really want to get the right thing this time so that she can progress a bit further when we go to NZ for 5 days in July.

Oh and she would be using the board with some burton Lexa bindings.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome....

Thanks
daniel42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Get the Burton Hero. That's very forgiving and many people like that board.
YouTube - 2010 Burton Hero Snowboard
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Unfortunately the Lexas are a few years old so they wont work with the channel, and the "Free" Retro discs cost $40 in Australia.

Which means that its probably best if I avoid boards with the channel, but thanks anyway for the suggestion.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A 144 is a good length, but she could certainly go a tad longer.

I would go for the Burton Troop 146.

Check out REI if you are near a store. The store discounts are currently 50% or above, which is much better than what you can find on their website. They tend to have smaller selections, but carry quality gear.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
BettyYeti

I learned and progressed on a Ride Solace 146 (im 5'5 130) with ride bindings. It wasn't stiff to me at all, and I think it was a really great starter board, I had a lot of control with it. I have a few other women friends who ride Ride and have nothing but good things to say.

ETA I can't remember the forum rules about posting links (sorry I'm in a rush at the mo') but there are Rides for sale on o2gearshop for under $200 if you are interested in checking out that option as well.

Last edited by BettyYeti; 03-16-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

How about the K2 Fling? K2 Fling Snowboard - Women's - '08/'09 at REI.com

That one is from 2008-2009, but it's so cheap. It looks like the girl's version of the K2 Darkstar, which is an awesome snowboard! I'm guessing no one is buying it cause it looks kinda like a guy's snowboard.
bufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Unfortunately I am in Australia and REI don't ship ride out of the US.

The Ride compact 143 has just gone cheap on Sierra.

Shayboarder has a review on it and in her closing comments said that if she was learning to ride, this would be the board she would learn on. The max weight range of the 143 on their site is allegedly only 100lb and she is 120lb, however, I think it should be fine for her.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

My wife learned on a Ride Solace 142cm. She weighs about 115lbs... I guess it was OK for her to learn on. After a year, I wanted to buy her a new snowboard, but she didn't see a point in it. But I went ahead and got her a Rome Vinyl 146cm... and she LOVES it. She said it was a huge difference and it was a lot more stable.
bufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

I decided to get the Ride compact 143.

She seems a little scared of bigger sized boards (even though we are talking not much) and I think her bad experience on the feelgood has really thrown her confidence.

I know around a 146 would probably be a better size in the long run, but I just thought I would go for something short and really forgiving to try to get her confidence up. I personally think a lot of progression is psychological. If you think you can't do something on the board you won't be able to do it, even if in reality you are quite capable. So hopefully she can come into it next time knowing she is on a short, floppy board that she will be able to ride.

Anyways, thanks guys for all your input here's hoping it all works out.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you made the right choice! If the rider is timid or lacks confidence, it is always better to go a little shorter. She can always get a longer board when she improves and finds that she needs more stability at higher speeds.

The Compact is a great board. It's more than what a beginner really needs, but there is no reason she can't learn on one.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote