Beginner set - good/ok qualtiy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
sweepy

Default Beginner set - good/ok qualtiy?

hey,

Last week I went snowboarding for the first time and it was really fun. I decided to get an inexpensive set, so I could learn and not spend a fortune. I am 5 foot 2.5 inches and 125 to 130 lbs.
The stuff I'm looking at is the following:

Board: Elan Aurora INS Womens Snowboard $99 150cm
Boots: K2 Mink Womens Snowboard Boots $70
Bindings: either Elan Daisy Womens Snowboard Bindings $50
or Rossignol HC 250 Womens Snowboard Bindings $50

I plan on buying it on the internet, so all in all I'll get all that for $250. I think thats really not bad.
My question(s): When I snowboarded the first (and yet only) time, I got a rental Burton 148cm board. THe board I want to buy is a 150cm. I chose this board, because it seems adequate for beginners and is inexpensive for a snowboard. Is 150cm too long for me as an absolute newbie? Will it be harder to learn? And 150cm is a bit higher than my nose, but does that really matter?

About the boots: Well, I can't try them on on the internet, but I just hope that I can count on K2's reputation that they'll be comfortable.
Bindings: Those two bindings are both strap on bindings of course. Both cost the same, so I don't really know which one to choose. The Elan one is prettier, but that's not my no 1 priority =). So can you guys recommend any one of those two?

The boots should fit in any of the two bindings above, right?

And at last: Have you ever tried some of that equipment above, or can you recommend anything else in this price category?

Of course I did research on the internet, but they are like no reviews about the equipment above. As far as I heard Elan is actually a pretty good brand made in Europe.

Thanks for your help and your opinions would really make my life a bit easier.
Thank you again
sweepy

fogot something: I want to do normal riding, no pipes and parks and stuff... ^^

Last edited by sweepy; 03-16-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

dont know much about the board u want.

When u rode the rental, how did it feel? did u have a hard time controlling it or not.
the 150 MAY be a little big on you if its over your nose and also because of your weight.
The weight is what plays a key factor in board selection and then comes height.

as for the boots, dont believe the hype. You ALWAYS try on boots before buying them. Dif brands fit dif feet so dont just go off of statistics. Try out as many pairs as u can before finding the perfect fit
Old 03-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have to agree with Polonia on the boots. I recently took a chance and bought some online only to loose $12 bucks for return shipping because they did not fit. Went to every local shop available and bought what was on my budget and felt confortable. Even different models on same brands fitted differently. There is a very good article about boot fitting here on the boots section I think. Good luck.
wisconewb is offline   Reply With Quote