Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Can you help me figure a board for my girlfriend? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/26991-can-you-help-me-figure-board.html)

mAd mOrdigan 03-17-2010 06:09 AM

Can you help me figure a board for my girlfriend?

So she's 5'1, about 102 lbs and wears a sz 8 boot. Her current board is a 141 or 142 morrow traverse which she says is super stiff. As far as skill level she's able to link skidded turns. She does "go over" small 3-4 foot jumps and ride on boxes basically just to get a taste. Im thinking about buying her a new board because she's been boarding about 3 seasons or so, she knows how to board but she doesn't push herself or go fast at all. I'd like to get her an all mountain board that she can use to progress and be comfortable with, like a medium stiffness board.

Now i was looking at the burton feather and the feelgood but just not sure which out of the two would suit her better. Should i just get her the burton feather and hope she progresses more with a beginner board or go with the feelgood which seems to be a more beginner/intermediate board? Other boards i THINK might be ok are the rome vinyl or flow elation. Any other board recommendations would be great. Also, what size would be good for her?

lilfoot1598 03-17-2010 09:21 AM

Avoid the Feather - it's a board for true beginners. The Feelgood is a better choice, but if she's not a particularly fast or aggressive rider, a softer board might be a better choice.

The Rome Vinyl would be an excellent choice - much softer than the Feelgood.

Other suggestions:
Never Summer Infinity-r
Gnu B-nice
Gnu B-street
Roxy Eminence
Roxy Ollie Pop

Length: I weigh 105 and ride a 143 and a 141. That is probably a good range for her as well, although she could go slightly bigger or slightly smaller.

Leo 03-17-2010 10:15 AM

Lilfoot's suggestions are great. As for size, I would definitely recommend that she goes with something smaller. Especially since she doesn't like to bomb. She sounds more like a easy going, hit everything type of rider. 141-143 is her all-mountain size. For her type of riding, I think she should go shorter. I'd go for a 138 for her.

The Feelgood is an excellent board, but it is on the stiffer side. The Feelgood ES is even stiffer. If you are familiar with Men's Burton boards, the Feelgood is a Female Custom and the Feelgood ES is the Female Custom X.

My sister in-law rides the Feelgood. She loves it.

Out of your choices, definitely go for the Feelgood. Avoid the Feather. That board is pretty crap.

mAd mOrdigan 03-17-2010 04:35 PM

Ok glad you two are familiar with those two burtons. Now why is it that should i stay away from the feather is it too stiff or something? Im not sure how the two compare. Thanks for the input, im not limiting myself to burton, it always just seems like a good starting point for me to compare boards with.

lilfoot1598 03-17-2010 08:21 PM

The Feather isn't stiff at all - it's actually a very forgiving beginner board. It's just not very responsive and a good number of people report growing out of it within a few weeks of riding. There are so many boards out there that are better quality for the money.

yusoweird 03-17-2010 11:05 PM

I second the Rome Vinyl. My gf loves hers.

return2heaven 03-18-2010 02:14 AM

Capita Midnight Womens Snowboard Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

theres a nice video description there too

NoTickets 03-18-2010 02:21 AM

i've heard swell reports on the capita space metal fantasy fk too if you'd like to check that out.

mAd mOrdigan 03-18-2010 04:01 AM

cool I'll check all those boards out. unfortunately none of the shops around here rent out demo's. hmm, what to do what to do maybe she'd like the feelgood if its supposed to be like a custom because I went from a crappy RIde to a Custom and loved it not too soft but definately softer than my old ride. Helped me progress alot, but then again im more ballsy than her.