Evo keeps tempting me - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Evo keeps tempting me

Hey everybody,

Second season in, 'bout time I bought a board that wasn't beat up and cheap cl stuff. Suffered the consequences of that this year: colles' fx and one helluva bruise on my right leg that had me seeing stars when I hit (lucky I always land on my butt than my head I guess). All my injuries bruised more my confidence than anything and nearly ruined an awesome trip to Keystone.

Spent the past week brushing up on terms, types of boards, what I should know about snowboards and recognizing what I like and need. But this online stuff makes it hard to decide since I can't 'see' the board.

I like just carving down the mountain and trying to hit top speed, parks are a long distance out. From the last board I've used that allowed me to really fly was a crap 151 with a deep side cut, super flexible and flow bindings (go figure). 5'7" 165 lbs.

Evo's outlet has another promotion of 30% off their '09 stuff and I was looking @ packages here. But they're hard for me to sort out. There's also this Ride Control board package that I like (90A slime walls) but I'm unsure if I should go this route, toe cap bindings look interesting. I wanna believe evo is doing their homework on the package b/c I haven't even looked heavily into bindings yet.

Also, board makers are typing my weight around 157-160 for the most part, but I've used a 161 and had a hard time turning on groomed, ok on powder. Whatcha think?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jayson
jaysonsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

if you're 5'7 165lbs i think a 161 is too big for you. im 5'10 160lbs and i use a 153, but its mainly for park. the 157 sounds alright for what you want to do
mrpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
mjd

if you're going to be doing strictly bomb missions you may want to go no shorter than a 156. that's a pretty cheap deal on that set up but keep in mind you can spend a little more and get a way better quality board and binders.

you may want a board with a fast sintered base and some carbon and/or a triax lay-up to stiffen it up a little for dealing with high speed and makes it easier to turn when hauling ass. most bindings these days offer toe caps or some variation thereof so that's really no big deal.

but it's all what you make of it in the end and how the rig fits you personally which noone but you can answer that. i'm sure evo gets that match up straight from RIDE so it's safe to say that is a legit set up.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Ride has five strings of carbon running through the binding zone according to the website and a 'Fusion 1500' base which sounds like extruded. 300something is kinda my ceiling right now and I'd rather spend all of it if that meant a better quality all mountain board. That's why I'm considering the 09 nitro team with the raiden bindings also, all the reviews claim its a great mountain board. Lucky the season is longer this year in Cali.

I guess I should say, b/t the two, which is a better all mountain:
Nitro or Ride?

Last edited by jaysonsd; 03-17-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

just fyi, sierrasnowboard has 50% off 2010 stuff
mAd mOrdigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

crap, more options
Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
mjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonsd View Post
Nitro or Ride?
i ride capita. used to ride rome and burton. capita is super cheap right now. best all-mt from them would be black death inc, quiver killer, or the indoor fk 158, 160. or the mid-life for wide feet. they match up well with union bindings.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonsd View Post
The Ride has five strings of carbon running through the binding zone according to the website and a 'Fusion 1500' base which sounds like extruded. 300something is kinda my ceiling right now and I'd rather spend all of it if that meant a better quality all mountain board. That's why I'm considering the 09 nitro team with the raiden bindings also, all the reviews claim its a great mountain board. Lucky the season is longer this year in Cali.

Nitro or Ride?
The decision might be moot. Evo is only listing the Ride bundle as available with M size bindings. If your feet require a different size, you're SOL on that front.

That notwithstanding, I personally prefer the Ride setup. The EX is an excellent binding for the money; light and comfortable (Wedgie footbeds ftw). The toe strap can be worn over top or over the toe like a cap. Slimewalls are also a great bit of tech IMO. The rest is just personal preference; of all the "big companies" out there, I prefer Ride.

Now, all that being said, as mjd mentioned, you could always spend a little more to get better gear. It's true, but that's also just a big trap waiting to spring (where does it ever end? I can always spend more! ). Buy what you are comfortable spending as either one is a reputable brand.

And please, I hope you have already bought boots and are not leaving it as the last, least money allocated item. They are undoubtedly the most important part of your gear, and a $50 difference between boots is generally a much bigger deal than the $50 difference between boards.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
mjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersTroopers View Post

Now, all that being said, as mjd mentioned, you could always spend a little more to get better gear. It's true, but that's also just a big trap waiting to spring (where does it ever end? I can always spend more! ). Buy what you are comfortable spending as either one is a reputable brand.
i was thinking in terms of his desire to get good at bombing down the mt. that ride set up is described as being for beginner to intermediate which means if he's going to be progressing freeriding he might need something more stable and performance oriented- thus in the long run he'll save money instead of needing to buy a beefier board down the road.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
BananaChiu

does anyone know how much they charge for shipping to canada?
They have amazing prices and since canadian dolar is almost up to par with USD.... i think it would be wise to buy the gears online