Intermediate Boarder Looking For A New Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
ndiggity

Exclamation Intermediate Boarder Looking For A New Board

Hey guys, my name is Nick and I live in Canada. I started skiing when I was 3 and stopped when I was 10. At the age of 10 I started snowboarding and I am now 18. I'm about 5'7 give or take an inch and weigh about 120 lbs so i'm a small guy. I have had 2 different boards in the past. My first was an Elan I picked up at Sportcheck along with some crappy boots and bindings, but who cares, I had just started. Then I got a Forum Youngblood 143 I think 4 years ago. I don't really have any complaints, its just getting on the small side. I picked up a pair of 2006 Burton Driver X's at the end of the year for cheap and love them. They are a size 9.5.

Anyways, I'm not a big park guy, I just love cruising the mountain, doing anything from green to black, usually just riding long blues and such, occasionally doing small jumps in the terrain park, but that is very minor. I'm not technical at all with my snowboard to be honest, I don't know a darned thing about forward lean or angle of my bindings or w/e, its pathetic. My old board is narrow since its only a 143 and I had big feet for my size back when I bought the board so the guy I bought it from angled the bindings so I wouldn't get toe drag and I have left it like that ever since. So any tips on that stuff would be great. And also the back of my bindings are straight up, i've never angled those either. Should fool around with that one day. And my bindings are some shatty liquid ones, so any suggestions on bindings are also welcome.

I ride at the local hill maybe twice a year as its 2 hours away and very small(it's literally an oversized hill). I do go to the mountains 2-3 times a year in alberta. We go to Lake Louise, Norquay, Sunshine and once to Nakiska. Lake Louise is where I learned to ski and board, and is where I got most often. So yeah, I hope this gives you a good idea of my riding ability and ignorance towards the technical aspects. I'm kinda partial to Burton ATM as my friends have recently picked up some Burton boards and are raving about them. I'm looking to buy within the next week to take advantage of any boxing week sales too, but it wouldn't be horrible to wait till February and buy a board in Banff when I'm there. Feel free to ask any other questions if I have left any crucial info and; thanks for reading my dragged out first post and thanks for any suggestions! Happy boarding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
ndiggity

What do you guys think of a Burton Air or Burton Custom or a Rome Anthem for me? I had never really heard of Rome before but I have read that this board is amazing.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
ndiggity

Bump... any help? I think I have it narrowed down to a Burton Custom, a Rome Anthem and a Lib Tech TRS with magnetraction. I am also looking for bindings to go along with one of these board. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
mike1two

You can't really go wrong with any of those boards. Though if you don't get much snow and find yourself riding mostly hard pack groomers (on piste) than the Lib Tech TRS with Magnetraction might be the way to go. What are the usual conditions that you ride in?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
ndiggity

I would say I ride mostly hard pack, I've honestly never tried powder as I usually go with family who don't want too. It would be nice if it would still be able to go into powder as I progress in skill, but mainly groomers. I board in Alberta so I'm not sure if you have heard of the places I board if your not Canadian, but I go to Lake Louise, Sunshine and Norquay. Also, any recommendations for bindings to go along with it?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
eL.Snow.Boarder

for bindings I think you should get Rome Arsenals (stiffer) or Rome 390's (softer.) Not really sure about the board, what is your budget?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
mike1two

the purpose of the magnetraction is to give you better hold on hard pack and icy groomers but it doesn't limit itself to just that it handles just as well as any other board in softer powder conditions.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
ndiggity

Yeah, I've heard all sorts of great stuff about magnetraction, but people say its a try before you buy and I don't have the opportunity to do that, so that is my ONLY hesitation with that particular board. My budget for a board would be 600ish Canadian, I know a custom is 650 here, don't want to spend more than that. My local board shop has the Lib Tech trs with mtx 154 for $509. Would that be to big for me. I have read lots about rome 390's and how they are supposed to be great. Any other suggestions? And is it true only burton bindings work on burton boards?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
carne_asada

I have a Burton Custom for freeriding and it's an awesome board!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
carne_asada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndiggity View Post
And is it true only burton bindings work on burton boards?
They come with 2 base plates to mount to non burton boards.