Best Wax? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Y0 Calvinn

Default Best Wax?

Hey I just got my new board for christmas and i wanted to wax it myself whats the best kind of wax? and what about the edges do i have to sharpen them or do whatever to them? what is a good thing to do when you get a new snowboard? ive never had a brand new snowboard before all my boards have been hammy downs thanks!

- Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dubels

I used Dakine wax and Swix wax. I like Swix wax better but it is more expensive. Dakine works fine and has a nice scent to it. For first time wax on a new board you might want to try some all condition wax instead of a specific temp wax. Basically with a new board you want to detune the the tail and the tip because it comes from the factory too sharp. Check out these videos on youtube: YouTube - Snowboard Tuning Part 1 - Detuning Edges watch the whole series by the same guy.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Y0 Calvinn

alright thanks i was looking at the one ball jay hows that work? will i need a special iron or can i use a house iron
Old 12-27-2007, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Y0 Calvinn

or should i just bring it to a snowboard shop and get it done professionally for 15 bucks i know how to do it but i dont wanna fuck it up haha and i heard if you wax it crappy youll have a crappy day
Old 12-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just pick a wax. Unless you race, imo, it doesn't really matter which is "the best." As for "the best", the type of wax you use really depends on the snow conditions more so than anything. If you've got more questions, go look in the general maintanence thread. Snowolf posted up tutorials on how to wax your board, and everything you need to know.
boarderaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dubels

If you are going to get into snowboarding a lot snowboard tuning is a nice skill to pick up. Its not that hard and once you get the hang of it you don't need to take it to a shop unless your board is really thrashed. Pick up a tuning kit and a house iron (one w/o holes is better). I have not heard anything bad about oneball jay wax. It is really hard to mess up your wax job but if your worried take it to a shop. Learning how to wax could save you money in between trips to the shop. Remember if you take it to the shop you should go days in advance of your trip to the slopes because once winter season hits full swing the shops are going to be packed with other boards and skis to do.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Y0 Calvinn

I got into snowboarding already its just never tuned my board myself haha I waxed it myself and I went to white pass washington yesterday 12/29 and it was great got in lots of runs and nice jumps and rails my wax job was pretty good and i detuned my edges and put a -2 degree bevel on it