Noob comparing a couple K2 boards. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Noob comparing a couple K2 boards.

I just started riding this winter (transitioned from skis) and have really, really enjoyed it, so I'm looking to buy my own gear for next season. I think I can figure out bindings and boots for myself, but I am unsure on a board. My workplace rents K2 cross country skis and snowshoes, and can thus get K2 gear, so I'm limiting myself to K2 boards unless somebody tells me I really ought to look elsewhere.

My stats:
5'9"
sz 12 feet
Age 29
Budget is whatever I need to spend to get something that won't hold me back in learning.
Since I'm new I'm basically on groomers, but since the vast majority of my riding will be at Bridger Bowl, which gets a lot of pow, I figure I need a board that will work for this.

The two boards I'm looking at right now are the Podium Wide 163 and the Turbo Dream Wide 164. Prices for buying next year's Podium through my work and buying this year's Turbo Dream on closeout are comparable. My question is which to go for. Given that the Turbo Dream is a higher dollar board for the same $$$, my initial impulse is to go for it, but reading reviews online has given me mixed info. Some say it is a good beginner board, others that it's better for those with experience. The reviews all seem to suggest that it's a good all-around board that excels in powder but can handle groomers okay too.

I guess my question is whether buying the higher-end board from the start is going to actually be hard for me to handle, like a 16 year old driving a Corvette. On the flipside, is there a board by another manufacturer I should really look at instead? Thanks.
Kesserendrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
canuck_boarder

hah, people will tell you to start off with something soft...dont listen to them like I did! I was a skier that turned to the dark side, too. I mean, it's probably best if you can buy a forgiving board but unless you want to get rid of it in a year your probably better off to start with an intermediate board. If I were beginning today I would pick up a B. Custom or a cheap board from Sierra. Im not very familiar with K2 boards, all I know is the Slayblade I demoed is awesome!

Have fun at Bridger, I have a place a little north of there in Whitefish.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
BTH

hey canuck, im real interested in a slayblade for some pow/jumps/butters. something more forgiving than a reg camber board. would the slayblade be good for these and also handle groomers/speed well?
BTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

K2 cut the Podium (and Podium Wide) for 2011, the board that replaces it (kind of) is the new Raygun. The Raygun comes in a wide as well and to put it simply is a stripped down Turbo Dream. FYI there are 0 men's camber boards in K2's line for 2011.

In my opinion the Raygun is an all around better ride than the Turbo Dream. It is a little softer and a ton more forgiving. I don't think the carbon tuning forks and Triax glass are overkill for the Turbo Dream and make a little hooky in turns. The Raygun is Biax/Biax/ICG 10 glass and no tuning forks.

I would look towards these three boards (1 from each rocker story) Slayblade Wide (for Flatine Rocker), Fastplant Wide (for Jib Rocker), or Raygun Wide (for All-Terrain Rocker). And don't think of Jib Rocker as just for the park, I had that Fastplant in the steeps at Jackson, groomers and tree in Keystone, and hardpack at Taos...and it handled those scenes just as well as the park.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTH View Post
hey canuck, im real interested in a slayblade for some pow/jumps/butters. something more forgiving than a reg camber board. would the slayblade be good for these and also handle groomers/speed well?
The Slayblade rips. One of the mellowest (yet super strong on edge), most fun boards I have ever ridden.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

look for the Podium to stay on in stores next year like the Zeppelin did

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
canuck_boarder

Yeah the Slayblade is a a freeriding SOB. Lightweight, stable and fast as hell- one of the best boards I've tried out this year Squeak is right, the dampening on this board is unreal! I think it would be too stiff to hit some features in the park but by all means can be done If you want a K2 Park stick I would go with the Parkstar but don't take my word for it because I haven't demoed the Parkstar
Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Stop turning this guys thread into a park oriented one.

Out of your two choices, I say get the Turbo Dream. It will shred the groomers and float nicely in the powder. It's a medium flex so it should suit your style of riding nicely.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
BTH

Hey thanks a bunch guys. I'm def getting the slayblade for next season. I was deciding between the turbo dream and slayblade but it seems the blade is a superior all terrain board and apparently super sick!

thanks for reviews fellas
BTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

BTH, I don't think you could go wrong with either the Slayblade or turbo. Both will have harshmellow next year too. For my non pow days I ride the Slayblade with K2 Auto. It is a sick combo. I have never had so much fun on groomers before. Makes my knees feel young again too!
rader023 is offline   Reply With Quote