Upgraded to Custom X Wide... advice please - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Upgraded to Custom X Wide... advice please

I just upgraded from a 07/08 K2 Podium 161 Wide to a 2010 Burton Custom X 162 Wide. K2 I was riding Burton Moto boots and Mission bindings (entry level gear). Custom is decked out with C60 bindings and Ion boots...

Rode this past weekend at Beaver and Vail... great conditions! After a few tweaks with the bindings I think I have everything sorted out to my liking... boots packed in a bit over the two days.

So my question/thoughts are this:
1) Custom X / C60 are supposed to be "super light." I'm pretty sure my K2 setup was as light or lighter... what's up with that!?
2) I don't notice MUCH performance upgrade over my K2... it does seem more stable/confident at speed, and has more pop, but that's about it... oh, and it is super fast on the catwalks.

Overall I like my setup... hard to go wrong with top of the line anything these days... but I don't feel what I bought was twice as good as what I had. Am I wrong???
minman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
alasdairm

Quote:
Originally Posted by minman26 View Post
1) Custom X / C60 are supposed to be "super light."
the custom x is a lot of things but 'super light'? i don't think so. where did you read that it was supposed to be super light? are you confusing it with the t6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by minman26 View Post
2) I don't notice MUCH performance upgrade over my K2... it does seem more stable/confident at speed, and has more pop, but that's about it... oh, and it is super fast on the catwalks.
so it's more stable at speed, it has more pop and it's super fast but you don't feel it's much of an upgrade. what were you expecting?

alasdair
Old 03-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

^^^ thanks for the response.

I'm not confusing it with the T6, maybe I just thought a newer/top-end board would be lighter, esp with the C60's.

Haha, maybe you're right! Maybe I'm just not at that next level yet where I can appreciate them fully? I definitely have the confidence now to progress knowing that the gear is way better than I'll ever be (not that I maxed out my old gear or even close).

I guess I was just expecting a little more of a difference... maybe I need more ride time. I am def pumped with the gear and bought it all 40% off so I can't complain. Looking forward to next season!
minman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
alasdairm

the custom x is an excellent deck. i'm sure as you get to know it better, it's personality will start to reveal itself.

alasdair
Old 03-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Custom X won't reveal itself unless you are an advanced rider. So if you are a beginner/intermediate, you have some growing to do (skill-wise). The Custom X is a light board, but by no means is it one of the lightest boards. You could also be misreading the weight due to the stiffness of the board. The Custom X is considerably stiffer than the Podium.

I don't know your skill level, but go bomb some runs and launch off kickers. You'll soon realize how great this board is. I'm not a pipe rider, but the Custom X is a highly regarded pipe board. The Custom X is easily one of the most stable boards I have ridden. Not to forget to mention the fact that this board is nasty fast.