Getting ahead -- next year's stick - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting ahead -- next year's stick

Thanks to this forum I bought and have very much enjoyed an '09/'10 Sierra Crew.

Durability hasn't been what I could have hoped for -- in fact, this weekend is 'taking pictures to send to Sierra to see if we've got warranty issues' weekend.

Assuming that they consider the damage normal wear and tear I'd like to start thinking about buying a board now so I have a fresh ride at the start of next season (or until the Crew simply dies).

Thinking about:
08/09 or 09/10 Ride Antic
09/10 Flow Infinite
09/10 Ride Concept TMS
09/10 Rome Pusher

I'm about 180, 5'8", size 8.5 boot.

Any thoughts?
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Your riding style?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Greens and blues. No pipe, no park. Have started, with the new Crew, doing little flat-land jumps but that's basically it.

I tend to chop my speed rather than seeking to go faster, faster.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'd go with either of the Ride boards. Both boards are on the stiffer side so beware of the speed of these boards. It's something you can definitely grow into.

If you want to go with a reverse camber deck, I suggest the Burton Custom V-Rocker. Burton's rockers are mellow so they are a good intro to the tech. Beware though, they are ICS boards so you will either need to buy a Burton EST binding or obtain conversion plates for them.

Some other boards to look out for:

K2 Turbo Dream

Ride Machete

Ride Control (this is a great quality entry level board, but you might outgrow it quickly)

Rossignol One Mag (super ugly, but super good board)
Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you want durability - go Never Summer and don't look back.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

The Sierra Crew I am riding is a knock-off of the Burton Custom (regular camber) so I'm okay with that speed (you can always put on the brakes).

Sierra is doing a knock-off of the Burton Custom V-Rocker ($235!) that take standard bindings but I expect the same durability issues that have me here in the first place.

Never Summer is a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Would be nice if the Ride boards could come down just a bit in price...
Old 03-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What's your budget? Just keep in mind, that when it comes to durability in snowboards, you usually get what you pay for. There are some great boards out there that aren't that expensive, but you usually pay for that savings in the form of reduced durability. I'm not going to mention any specific brands here to avoid this thread completely derailing.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm the same height and almost the same weight as you haha. I bought the 09/10 Ride Antic. I plan on getting a second board for park like the Capita Stairmaster but my Antic will be what I ride when I just want to ride down the trails with friends. I got my Antic for $265. just have to look around. It's pretty hard to find the right size though. I have the 157. the only thing I don't like about the Antic would have to be the design on the bottom. Looks kinda cheap but nobody sees that anyways haha.

as for durability, it's been fine so far, I rode over some twigs and what on my last session and had some bad falls but it's fine.

Last edited by mysterl33; 03-25-2010 at 02:17 PM.
mysterl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
What's your budget? Just keep in mind, that when it comes to durability in snowboards, you usually get what you pay for. There are some great boards out there that aren't that expensive, but you usually pay for that savings in the form of reduced durability. I'm not going to mention any specific brands here to avoid this thread completely derailing.
I'd like to keep it in the sub-$300 range. I've shelled out (for me) quite a bit of cash on snowboarding this season and I can't justify (even though it is for next season) spending too much more.

As to the Never Summer boards, based on my poorly described riding style, what model would I be looking at?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Honestly, with your riding style, pretty much anything would work. I'd probably suggest the SL-R from NS's lineup though. It's a great all-mountain board and would do well with pretty much anything you throw at it as you progress. The cheapest I can find it on a quick Google search is well out of your price range at $400. If I was you, I'd just keep waiting. I had to wait until June last year to pick up my Heritage, but I got it for $330.