Waxing - am I doing something wrong? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Waxing - am I doing something wrong?

Check the below pic. This is my base 1 day after a fresh wax. Day consisted of approximately 15 - 18 runs. Conditions started off as hard pack (not full on ice), and turned to spring slush in the afternoon. I bailed around 2:00 once it got really gluggy. Anyway, my technique was this. Crayon on all temp Toko molybdenum (supposedly good as mixing wax and base prep), and followed by standard drip of Bluebird all temp. Spread with iron, no smoke from wax, board warm but not hot on the other side. Allow to set up for 20 min or so. Scrape and buff with Scotchbrite pad. Just seems that my base is abnormally dry after such a small amount of time, in not harsh conditions. This always seems to be the case with this board. I tried just using the Toko one time, and it actually held up for 2 days, and still had some life in it, but there was a slightly noticeable difference in glide. I've also used Hertel, and had the same issue as below pic. I know Bluebird is supposed to be particularly durable, so I don't think it's the wax. Any thoughts?

buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ummmmm is the wax roughly matched to the temp of the snow?

I have had this problem before on my Hatchet so waxed it heavily, then came back every hour and reheated the wax for two more times basically making sure that it was well soaked in. Now every third or forth wax that it gets I repeat the above process and it seems to hold wax well. I do also make sure that im not as pedantic with gettting off all the wax from that board when I scrape it now and it seems to be fine.

Hope this helps.
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just try waxing and scraping

All I do is use the closest temp rated One Ball Jay wax to the conditions I will be riding. Apply the wax like your saying, scrape it well, and ride it.

No need to do all the crazy scotch pad shit unless you're getting into racing or something.... Wax and scrape the proper temp wax will make you as fast as you could possibly want, trust me. No need for base prep or any of that crap.... Oh make sure to wipe down your base prior to applying wax to remove and crap that you can't see. I just do that with a wet paper towel or even with windex. Just let the base dry fully before applying wax.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
Conditions started off as hard pack (not full on ice), and turned to spring slush in the afternoon.

Just seems that my base is abnormally dry after such a small amount of time, in not harsh conditions.
Actually, spring slush is harsh conditions. Compared to snow, it forms these big, sharp ice crystals that will strip wax off fast!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
Ummmmm is the wax roughly matched to the temp of the snow?
Hard to say. Air temp was 30 in the morning (probably colder at the top), 55 in the afternoon. Conditions started as super firm hard pack, and became pina colada in the afternoon. I used all temp, figuring that bridged the gap as well as anything. Thought about trying a warm temp/slush specific wax, but thought it might be too soft for the morning conditions.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
rocket31

it was the slush, it stripped some of your wax off
Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah my board always looks like that after a slushy day. I don't think you can escape it.